How Do You Calculate Rocket Acceleration and Altitude After Launch?

The acceleration is then used in the kinematic equations to find the height after one minute.In summary, to find the initial acceleration of a Saturn-Apollo rocket with a mass of 5.40 x 105kg and a thrust of 7.40 x 106 N at lift off, the FNET equation can be used. After solving, the acceleration is found to be 3.89m/s2. To find the height the rocket will reach one minute after launch, the kinematic equations can be used with the initial acceleration.
cheerspens

Homework Statement

A Saturn-Apollo rocket has a mass of 5.40 x 105kg. What is the initial acceleration of the rocket if the thrust at lift off is 7.40 x 106 N?
How high will the rocket rise one minute after launch?

Homework Equations

Fg=mg
FNET=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Fg=mg, plugging in 5.5 x 105 for m and 9.8 for g to get Fg=5.292 x 106 N.
I then used the FNET equation as so:
7.4 x 106-5.292 x 106=(5.4 x 105)(a)
And my answer was an acceleration of 3.89m/s2.
For the second question I got that the rocket would reach 233.4m one minute after launch.
Is this correct or how is this done correctly? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct, but you did the operations wrong I believe. The thrust after lift off is the resultant force. So you need to add that to the weight and then get the acceleration.

Related to How Do You Calculate Rocket Acceleration and Altitude After Launch?

1. What is the force that propels a rocket during launch?

The force that propels a rocket during launch is known as thrust. This force is generated by the rocket's engines, which expel hot gases at high speeds in the opposite direction of the rocket's movement.

2. How does the mass of a rocket affect the amount of force needed for launch?

The mass of a rocket does not directly affect the amount of force needed for launch. However, a heavier rocket will require more thrust to overcome its own weight and reach the necessary velocity for launch.

3. What is the role of air resistance in a rocket launch?

Air resistance, also known as drag, plays a significant role in a rocket launch. As the rocket moves through the air, it experiences a force that opposes its motion and can slow it down. This is why rockets are designed with streamlined shapes to minimize air resistance and increase efficiency.

4. How does the angle of the rocket's trajectory affect the force required for launch?

The angle of the rocket's trajectory, also known as its launch angle, affects the force required for launch in several ways. A steeper angle will require more force to overcome the force of gravity and reach the desired altitude. Additionally, the angle can also affect the amount of air resistance experienced by the rocket.

5. What other forces besides thrust are involved in a rocket launch?

Besides thrust, there are several other forces involved in a rocket launch. These include the force of gravity, which must be overcome to lift the rocket off the ground, and the force of air resistance, which can slow down the rocket's ascent. Additionally, there may be external forces, such as wind, that can affect the trajectory of the rocket.