How much additional altitude can rocket obtain with launch assist.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of two identical model rockets with different launch methods and the resulting altitude reached by the second rocket. The individual asks about the equations involved in determining the altitude and whether the gains in altitude are significant. The solution provided is to add the result of the kinematic equation to the initial altitude of 1000ft. The conversation also touches on the concept of a rocket's performance being affected by speed.
Futabo

Homework Statement

We have 2 model rockets identical in all ways (weight, height, mass, propellant, etc). The first rocket is launched like most rockets (0 ft/sec) and reaches 1000ft. For the second rocket we use a SUPER rubberband launch system. The launch system sends the rocket to say, 150 ft/sec before the rocket ignites. What altitude will the 2nd rocket reach? Please see the attached image.

Homework Equations

I assume part of it involves Kinematic Equations. Something like V² = U² +2*a*s. After that do we just add together 1000+the result? Or is it far more complex? I heard that rockets perform better at speed. In theory, are the gains in altitude significant? The plan is to do a real world test! My profession is in advertising and have loved rockets since childhood, but physics is way over my head!

The Attempt at a Solution

1000 + 1147 = 2147
BAM! How's that?

Attachments

• RocketQuestion.gif
    RocketQuestion.gif
    54 KB · Views: 563
Physics news on Phys.org
Futabo said:

Homework Statement

We have 2 model rockets identical in all ways (weight, height, mass, propellant, etc). The first rocket is launched like most rockets (0 ft/sec) and reaches 1000ft. For the second rocket we use a SUPER rubberband launch system. The launch system sends the rocket to say, 150 ft/sec before the rocket ignites. What altitude will the 2nd rocket reach? Please see the attached image.

Homework Equations

I assume part of it involves Kinematic Equations. Something like V² = U² +2*a*s. After that do we just add together 1000+the result? Or is it far more complex? I heard that rockets perform better at speed. In theory, are the gains in altitude significant? The plan is to do a real world test! My profession is in advertising and have loved rockets since childhood, but physics is way over my head!

The Attempt at a Solution

1000 + 1147 = 2147
BAM! How's that?

A rocket burns fro a specific time - applying a calculatable impulse and thus increase in momentum. One the fuel runs out the rocket will be traveling at high speed, so continues [slowing down] until it stops rising, and returns to Earth.

I would draw Velocity time graphs of the two flights - it becomes [should anyway] clear from there.

Related to How much additional altitude can rocket obtain with launch assist.

1. How does launch assist help a rocket gain additional altitude?

Launch assist can help a rocket gain additional altitude by providing an initial boost of acceleration and velocity, which can reduce the amount of fuel needed for the rocket to reach its desired altitude. This can be achieved through various methods such as using a launch pad, a launch vehicle, or a catapult.

2. What factors determine the amount of additional altitude a rocket can gain with launch assist?

The amount of additional altitude a rocket can gain with launch assist depends on factors such as the type of launch assist used, the weight and design of the rocket, the amount of fuel available, and the atmospheric conditions during launch. Other factors, such as the angle and trajectory of the launch, also play a role.

3. Can launch assist be used for all types of rockets?

No, launch assist may not be suitable for all types of rockets. Some rockets may be too heavy or have a design that is not compatible with certain types of launch assist. Additionally, the type of launch assist used may also depend on the purpose of the rocket and the desired altitude it needs to reach.

4. Is there a limit to how much additional altitude a rocket can gain with launch assist?

There is no specific limit to how much additional altitude a rocket can gain with launch assist. However, the amount of additional altitude will depend on the factors mentioned earlier and may vary for each launch. With advancements in technology, it is possible for rockets to continuously break altitude records with the help of launch assist.

5. What are some examples of launch assist methods used to help a rocket gain additional altitude?

Some examples of launch assist methods used to help a rocket gain additional altitude include a launch pad, a launch vehicle such as a rocket sled or a rocket-powered aircraft, and a catapult. Other innovative methods, such as air launch systems and space elevators, are also being explored for their potential to assist in rocket launches.