How Do You Calculate Pressure Difference and Upward Force on an Airplane Wing?

• Thread starter whoknows123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation centered around finding the pressure difference and net upward force exerted on an airplane wing using Bernoulli's equation. The equation was discussed and steps for solving the problem were outlined. The conversation also addressed potential confusion and helped clarify the topic for the original poster.
whoknows123
Question: a) Find the pressure difference on an airplane wing where air flows over the upper surface with a speed of 110 m/s and along the bottom surface with a speed of 105 m/s. _____Pa

b) if the area of the wing is 20m^2, what is the net upward force exerted on the wing? ______N

Can anyone tell me what equations to use for this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
whoknows123 said:
Question: a) Find the pressure difference on an airplane wing where air flows over the upper surface with a speed of 110 m/s and along the bottom surface with a speed of 105 m/s. _____Pa

b) if the area of the wing is 20m^2, what is the net upward force exerted on the wing? ______N

You are expected to use Bernouilli's equation:

[tex]P_1 + \frac{1}{2}\rho v_1^2 = P_2 + \frac{1}{2}\rho v_2^2[/tex]

The problem is that this is probably not the correct way to analyse the lift. It is more complicated than Bernouilli. There is still scientific debate over the physics of airplane lift.

AM

whoknows123 said:

Bernouilli's equation [itex] {v^2 \over 2} + g h + {p \over \rho} = constant[/itex]. Assuming that the difference of height plays a negligible role, you can use the two speeds and the density of air to find the difference of pressure (notice that the higher the speed, the smaller the pressure is which is good since the speed of the air flow is larger on the top of the wing!). For the second part, you need to use that force is pressure times area, so the difference of force is the difference of pressure times the area (again, you should see easily why the net force is upward).

Patrick

so what exactly do i do, what is P suppose to be?

ok, I'm confused.

can someone explain step by step? I reallly don't understand this topic.

nevermind, thanks nrqed, i got it =)

whoknows123 said:
nevermind, thanks nrqed, i got it =)
Am glad I could help.

Just for the benefit of others: I had sent this private message to the OP:

The sum of the three terms is constant means that it has the same value above and below the wing. Neglecting the gh term, you get

[itex] {1 \over 2} v_{top}^2 + {P_{top} \over \rho} = {1 \over 2} v_{bottom}^2 + {P_{bottom} \over \rho} [/itex]

Just solve for (P_bottom - P_top) (this should be positive since there is a net force upward on the wing so the pressure on the bottom should be larger than on the top). That's the pressure difference you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

Is that Bernoulli's equation? The one in my book is different.

akoma714 said:
Is that Bernoulli's equation? The one in my book is different.

This thread's over a year old, plus it's not clear which post you're talking about. If you have a specific question, feel free to start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Related to How Do You Calculate Pressure Difference and Upward Force on an Airplane Wing?

What is pressure?

Pressure is the force applied per unit area. It is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

What is the equation for pressure?

The equation for pressure is P = F/A, where P is pressure in Pa or psi, F is the force applied in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs), and A is the area over which the force is applied in square meters (m²) or square inches (in²).

How do I calculate pressure?

To calculate pressure, you need to know the force applied and the area over which it is applied. You can then use the equation P = F/A to determine the pressure.

What are some common units for pressure?

Some common units for pressure include Pascals (Pa), pounds per square inch (psi), atmospheres (atm), and millimeters of mercury (mmHg).

How does pressure affect different substances?

Pressure can affect substances in various ways, depending on their properties. For example, increasing pressure can cause gases to compress, liquids to change phase, and solids to deform. However, the specific effects of pressure on a substance will also depend on other factors such as temperature and composition.