How Do You Calculate Path Length and Displacement on a Circular Track?

In summary, the ant's path length can be calculated using the formula s = r*a, where s is the path length, r is the radius, and a is the angle in radians. The magnitude of the ant's displacement can be found using the formula s = 2*pi*r*(a/2*pi), where s is the displacement, r is the radius, and a is the angle in degrees. The ant's displacement can also be calculated by setting up a ratio of the total circumference to the arc length.
Jetsgirl

Homework Statement

An ant positioned on the very edge of a Beatles record that is 18.00 cm in radius revolves through an angle of 110.0o as the disk turns. What is the ant's path length?

What is the magnitude of the ant's displacement?

Homework Equations

Ac=v^2/r

T=2pir/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really confused about this because if I don't have a velocity, how could I use any Circular Motion & Rotation equations to calculate the length?

I calculated v=(18 cm)(cos(110deg) = -17.98 (in radians) but I know this isn't right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jetsgirl said:

Homework Statement

An ant positioned on the very edge of a Beatles record that is 18.00 cm in radius revolves through an angle of 110.0o as the disk turns. What is the ant's path length?

What is the magnitude of the ant's displacement?

Homework Equations

Ac=v^2/r

T=2pir/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really confused about this because if I don't have a velocity, how could I use any Circular Motion & Rotation equations to calculate the length?

I calculated v=(18 cm)(cos(110deg) = -17.98 (in radians) but I know this isn't right?

also trying to solve this one... I am stumped

It doesn't matter the angular speed. It's like saying you travel 10m at 5m/s how far did you travel?

All you need to know is the radius and the angle it rotates through.

There is a well known formula that relates arc length 's' to radius 'r' and angle 'a'...look that up and it will make quick work of this problem. You could also look at it like the circumference of a full circle is 2(pi)(r). So since the circle only rotates 110 degrees instead of 360 degrees simply set up a ratio of the total circumference to the arc length your trying to solve.

Thanks so much, I got it!

Jetsgirl said:
Thanks so much, I got it!

as did i thank you!

Related to How Do You Calculate Path Length and Displacement on a Circular Track?

1. What is circular motion path length?

Circular motion path length is the distance traveled by an object in a circular path. It is the total distance around the circumference of the circle.

2. How is circular motion path length calculated?

The formula for calculating circular motion path length is given as L = 2πr, where L is the path length and r is the radius of the circle.

3. What is the difference between arc length and circular motion path length?

Arc length is the distance between two points on a curved line, while circular motion path length is the total distance traveled around the circumference of a circle. Arc length is a part of circular motion path length.

4. Can circular motion path length be negative?

No, circular motion path length cannot be negative as it is a measure of distance and distance cannot be negative. It can only be zero or a positive value.

5. How does the radius of a circle affect the circular motion path length?

The circular motion path length is directly proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that as the radius increases, the path length also increases and vice versa.