How Do You Calculate Optical Properties of an Unknown Thin Film?

In summary, the author is trying to solve a homework problem involving unknown thin films, transmission spectra, and equations from Swanepoel. The author has the transmission spectra of the substrate (MgF2) and substrate + "unknown" thin film, and also has the "original" spectra of both substrate and layer. The author has attempted to solve the problem by dividing the spectrum with that of the substrate and applying the equations from Swanepoel. The author has found that when the layer covered both sides of the substrate, n=1.66 and 1.4 micrometer thickness for the layer. The layer don't cover the both sides, just one (it is the substrate, and after him
Tzontonel

Homework Statement

I need to calculate n, k and d of an "unknown" thin film.
I have the transmission spectra of the substrate (MgF2) and substrate + "unknown" thin film
See the attachments with: three files
- two screenshots of the transmission spectra (see file name for description)
- one .txt file with divided values (can be plotted to see the T spectrum of the "unknown" thin film).

The Attempt at a Solution

If think very clear, I need to divide values of %T of substrate+thin film at values of %T of substrate, and I obtain transmission values/spectrum of thin film. After that I apply the equations from Swanepoel, 1983. It's correct?
Also, I want to know if it's possible to have the %T ~100 of the thin film. I think it is an oxide (MgO/ZrO). And I'm confusing to assign the Ts to %100; I said that because when I import the spectrum in PARAV 2.0, the software put the Ts value at %95.42, why?!

Please help me, I have backgrounds in Geology not in Physics (but I do my best), and It's very hard to understand without any help/advice.

Attachments

• thin film PARAV after divide.txt
    9.8 KB · Views: 353
  • substrate MgF2.jpg
    substrate MgF2.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 472
  • substrate MgF2 + thin film.jpg
    substrate MgF2 + thin film.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
Someone can help me with an advice? Please.

It is no use to divide the spectrum with that of the substrate. Have you got the original spectra of both substrate and layer?

ehild

Here you go.

Note: The both spectra presents an collapse around ~350 and 800 nm, probably due to the change of the parameters of the instrument (lamp and so on - I think).

Attachments

• MgF2 spectrum.txt
    7.6 KB · Views: 397
  • Substrate (MgF2) + thinfilm spectrum.txt
    7.6 KB · Views: 507
Is both sides of the substrate covered by identical layers? Or does the layer cover only one side of the substrate?

ehild

The file MgF2 spectrum.txt is that obtained from substrate MgF2 (without thin film), and the second spectrum (Substrate (MgF2) + thinfilm spectrum.txt/MgF2 coated) is obtained from the same substrate with an "unknown" thin film.
I attach the "original" file, where you have the T values for the both spectra, also at the bottom of the columns you have some parameters used (if that help you to understand much more things for this files and spectra).

Thanks for your patience!

Attachments

• MgF2 Coated and Mg F2 substrate.xls
    61 KB · Views: 155
I do not understand why is the measured transmittance of the substrate is so low. MgF2 has the refractive index about 1.38, and transmittance of about 95%.

When a transparent thin film is on a transparent substrate, the transmittance at one of the extrema is identical to that of the substrate. In case the refractive index of the layer is higher than that of the substrate they are the maxima where the layered sample and the bare substrate have the same transmittances.
Multiply the divided transmittance data with the theoretical transmittance of the substrate, (0.9542) and apply the equations to the corrected transmittance spectrum.

ehild

Last edited:
I attach the paper. In fact what I need, is to calculate d, k, n and absorbance of the thin film and finally this values are used to apply the formula no. 4 (see Swanepoel-paper.pdf).

And all of this things from that spectra attached (transmission spectra of MgF2 substrate and MgF2 coated). Also, I use PARAV software (http://www.chalcogenide.eu.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1&Itemid=2" ), but I want to make an excel file to calculate step by step and to compare with the results obtained in PARAV.

If the layer covered both sides of the substrate, I guess n=1.66 refractive index and 1.4 micrometer thickness for the layer
The layer don't cover the both sides, just one (it is the substrate, and after him is a thin film). You are so fast with calculation, how?!

Attachments

• Swanepoel-paper.pdf
    674 KB · Views: 258
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the paper!
Well, with one side covered, the situation is quite different.

Find the refractive index of the substrate from Ts= 95.42%, Multiply all relative transmittance data with Ts, and use this value to get the refractive index of the layer from the transmittance at the two longest-wavelength minima.

(My new result is 1.83 for the refractive index and 1.06 micrometer for the thickness. I wonder if you get similar result)

ehild

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Calculate Optical Properties of an Unknown Thin Film?

1. What is a thin film?

A thin film is a layer of material, typically ranging from a few nanometers to several micrometers in thickness, that is deposited onto a substrate. It is used in various scientific and industrial applications, such as coatings, electronics, and optics.

2. What is MgF2?

MgF2, also known as magnesium fluoride, is a chemical compound that is commonly used as a substrate for thin film deposition. It is a transparent and hard material with a high melting point, making it suitable for various applications in the optical and semiconductor industries.

3. How is a thin film of MgF2 deposited onto a substrate?

There are several methods for depositing a thin film of MgF2 onto a substrate, including physical vapor deposition (PVD), chemical vapor deposition (CVD), and atomic layer deposition (ALD). Each method involves the use of specialized equipment and techniques to control the thickness, uniformity, and properties of the thin film.

4. What are the properties of a thin film on an MgF2 substrate?

The properties of a thin film on an MgF2 substrate depend on various factors, such as the thickness and deposition method used. Generally, MgF2 thin films have high optical transparency, low refractive index, and good mechanical properties. They also exhibit excellent anti-reflective and anti-corrosive properties, making them ideal for optical coatings.

5. What are some applications of thin film (MgF2 substrate)?

MgF2 thin films on substrates have a wide range of applications, including optical coatings for lenses, mirrors, and filters, as well as protective coatings for electronic devices and solar panels. They are also used in microelectronics, sensors, and biomedical devices due to their unique physical and chemical properties.