How Do You Calculate Net Force of Tension in Uniform Circular Motion?

In summary, the problem involves a 100 g bead sliding along an 80 cm string attached to a vertical pole at points A and C, which are 40 cm apart. When the pole is rotated, AB becomes horizontal. The equations used to solve for the tension in the string components are F=mv^2/r and F=ma, with the components being Fy and Fx. The angle at point B is determined to be 53 degrees, and the tensions for the 2 string components are calculated using Newtons second law. The net force of tension exerted on the strings is found using these equations, but the problem still requires the velocity to be solved completely.
surebud

Homework Statement

A 100 g bead is free to slide along an 80 cm long piece of string ABC. The
ends of the string are attached to a vertical pole at A and C, which are 40
cm apart. When the pole is rotated about its axis, AB becomes horizontal

I know this question has been posted before but i am not sure if i understand it properly

Homework Equations

a=v^2/r
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I have broken down the F in its components Fy and Fx. I calculated the angle to be 53 degrees. I used Newtons second law Ftx(cos53) = mg and Fty(sin53) = mg to get the tensions for the 2 string components. For the string AB there is only a horizontal component Ftx(cos0) = mg. If i sum these up, did I correctly calculate the net force of tension exerted onto the strings?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should formulate the problem properly. Which is higher, A or C? If you've done some calculations, you can show them here so that we can understand from where to help you.

the string makes a triangle. A to C follows the Y axis; A to B the X axis; and C to B the hypotenuse. I have calculated the leangth on the of the triangle sides and determined that the angle at point B is 53 degrees. Since the only force given in the question is gravity, I am working with it to determine the uniform circular motion using Newtons second law. The calculations i just spoke off have led me to the equations in my first message. I have come to the conclusion that the force of tension on the string must be at least the magnititude of gravity. Given the vectors of the strings I got the equations above (first message). I have no idea if this is correct though. It makes sense to me but unfortunatly that doesn't make it right :)

surebud said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I have broken down the F in its components Fy and Fx. I calculated the angle to be 53 degrees. I used Newtons second law Ftx(cos53) = mg and Fty(sin53) = mg to get the tensions for the 2 string components. For the string AB there is only a horizontal component Ftx(cos0) = mg. If i sum these up, did I correctly calculate the net force of tension exerted onto the strings?

Ftx(cos 0) = mg? Why? Also, you have written "Ftx(cos53) = mg and Fty(sin53) = mg"?

Your tension along AB + Ftx(cos 53) = mv^2/AB.

Resolve all the tensions along vert and horzntl directions and equate to weight and centrpetal force respectively. That should do it.

this might sound stupid but i am not sure how to resolve for the tensions, from what i understand that u have written, I should add the sum of Ftx(cos53) with the tension of the radius. But how can i solve this equation without velocity. I have been trying to figure this out for some reason i can't put it together, i don't know if i am making it clear as to what i am missing but i seem to be stuck here. I see what u have written but it seems to me that i am still missing a parameter. If the force of tension on AB is
Ft = m(v^2/r) and adding this equation with the horzontal component
Ftx(cos53) = m(v^2/r) than don't i just cancel out all the parameters?? Isnt there also tensoion on the string between CB?

I thought you were denoting the tension in CB by Ft and its horizontal and vert components by Ftx and Fty. But you do need the velo to solve for the tensions.

Let me just use with different notation.

Let T1 be the tension along BA and T2 the tension along BC. let r = length AB.

mv^2/r = T2*cos B + T1 – equating horz forces
mg = T2*sin B. – equating vert forces.

T2 can be found and hence T1, if the velo is given.

(I have a "feeling" that there is only one value of v which will result in the given configuration, but I'm missing it. I'm a bit too busy at present to pursue it further right now, But I'll post a definiive yes or no as soon as I'm a bit free.)

Last edited:
I appreciate the help!

Related to How Do You Calculate Net Force of Tension in Uniform Circular Motion?

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. The direction of the object's velocity is constantly changing, but its speed remains the same.

2. What is the centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's velocity and prevent it from flying off in a straight line.

3. How is uniform circular motion different from linear motion?

In linear motion, an object moves along a straight line at a constant speed. In uniform circular motion, the object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. The direction of velocity changes in circular motion, while it remains constant in linear motion.

4. What is the relationship between speed and centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the centripetal force is directly proportional to the speed of the object. This means that as the speed increases, the centripetal force required to keep the object in its circular path also increases.

5. How is uniform circular motion related to angular motion?

Uniform circular motion and angular motion are closely related. In uniform circular motion, the object moves along a circular path at a constant speed, while in angular motion, the object rotates around a fixed axis at a constant speed. The two can be converted to each other using the relationship v = rw, where v is linear velocity, r is the radius of the circle, and w is the angular velocity.