How Do You Calculate Movements of a Robotic Arm?

• Thread starter supermiedos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arm
In summary: I hope this helps you understand the problem better. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work!In summary, the conversation revolved around finding expressions for x_{m} and y_{m} in a given robotic arm configuration, and showing that dx_{m} = -y_{m}dθ + (y_{c}-y_{m})d\phi. A small correction in the calculations was made and the desired result was obtained.
supermiedos

Homework Statement

Given the following robotic arm:
http://i.imgur.com/TIb1vOk.png

and knowing that [itex]x_{c}[/itex] = Lcosθ and [itex]y_{c}[/itex] = Lsinθ, find expressions for
[itex]x_{m}[/itex] and [itex]y_{m}[/itex] and show that:
d[itex]x_{m}[/itex] = -[itex]y_{m}[/itex]dθ + ([itex]y_{c}[/itex]-[itex]y_{m}[/itex])d[itex]\phi[/itex]

Homework Equations

(Shown on picture below)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here it is my attempt at a solution:
http://i.imgur.com/Ee7iZWk.png

First I made a traslation to the origin and then I found the angles. Then, I got that triangle (4th pic) and found the relations between the angles and the sides. Next, I simplified both expressions using trigonometric identities and finally got d[itex]x_{m}[/itex].

But I don't get the book's answer! Could you help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Your attempt at solving this problem is commendable. However, I believe there may be a small error in your calculations. In the first step, you translated the coordinates to the origin, but in the next step, you used the coordinates from the original position of the robotic arm. This could be the reason for the discrepancy in your answer.

Here is my attempt at solving the problem:

First, let's define the coordinates of the end effector as x_{e} and y_{e} in the original position of the robotic arm. From the given information, we know that x_{c} = Lcosθ and y_{c} = Lsinθ. We also know that x_{m} = x_{e} - x_{c} and y_{m} = y_{e} - y_{c}.

Now, using the Pythagorean theorem, we can express x_{e} and y_{e} in terms of L and θ:

x_{e} = Lcosθ + Lcos\phi

y_{e} = Lsinθ + Lsin\phi

Substituting these values in the expressions for x_{m} and y_{m}, we get:

x_{m} = (Lcosθ + Lcos\phi) - Lcosθ

y_{m} = (Lsinθ + Lsin\phi) - Lsinθ

Simplifying, we get:

x_{m} = Lcos\phi

y_{m} = Lsin\phi

Now, to show that dx_{m} = -y_{m}dθ + (y_{c}-y_{m})d\phi, we first need to find the values of y_{c} and y_{m} in terms of L and θ.

From the given information, we know that y_{c} = Lsinθ and y_{m} = Lsin\phi. Substituting these values, we get:

dx_{m} = -Lsin\phi dθ + (Lsinθ - Lsin\phi)d\phi

Simplifying, we get:

dx_{m} = -y_{m}dθ + (y_{c}-y_{m})d\phi

Hence, we have shown that dx_{m} = -y_{m}dθ + (y_{c}-y_{m})d

Related to How Do You Calculate Movements of a Robotic Arm?

1. How does a robotic arm work?

A robotic arm works by using a series of motors and joints to mimic the movements of a human arm. These motors are controlled by a computer, which receives instructions from a human operator or pre-programmed commands.

2. What are the advantages of using a robotic arm?

There are several advantages to using a robotic arm, including increased precision, speed, and efficiency. Robotic arms can also be used in environments that may be too dangerous or difficult for humans to work in.

3. What are the limitations of a robotic arm?

Some limitations of a robotic arm include the need for precise programming and limited dexterity compared to a human arm. They also require maintenance and can be expensive to purchase and maintain.

4. Can a robotic arm be used for any task?

While robotic arms can be used for a wide range of tasks, they are not suitable for every task. They are best suited for repetitive and precise tasks, such as assembly line work or surgery. They may not be able to handle complex or unpredictable tasks as well as a human can.

5. How is safety ensured when using a robotic arm?

Safety is ensured through several mechanisms, including programming safety protocols and using sensors to detect any potential collisions with objects or humans. Regular maintenance and monitoring are also important for ensuring the safe operation of a robotic arm.