How Do You Calculate Maximum Speed from a Non-Constant Acceleration Time Graph?

In summary: This is not the case for objects on Earth, as they are subject to a gravitational force, which causes them to accelerate towards the ground. In the case of free fall, the acceleration is not null because the object is accelerating towards the ground due to the force of gravity.
Suraj M
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A particle starts from rest. Its acceleration vs time graph is as shown. What will be the maximum speed?
WIN_20150312_160506.JPG

Homework Equations

usual kinematic equations(3+)

The Attempt at a Solution

velocity at t=11 seconds should be max, so the area under the given graph = change in velocity
So vf-0 = 55
so max. velocity= 55 m/s
But, if i try it this way:
##a=\frac{dv}{dt}##
##a.dt=dv##
integrating..
##a∫_{0}^{11} dt = ∫_{0}^{v} dv##
so ##a(11-0)=v-0##
i know this is wrong because ##a## is not constant. But how do i include it?
Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suraj M said:
a.dt=dva.dt=dv
integrating..
a∫11dt=∫vdva∫₀^{11} dt = ∫₀^{v} dv
Since a is a function of time, ∫adt is not a∫dt

You need to write a as a function of t then integrate it correctly.

But if a particle starts from rest and its acceleration vs time graph is as shown, I ask to myself why at the intial time the initial acceleration is not null?

I ask to myself why at the initial time the initial acceleration is not null?
You could equally ask, why the question chose to set time 0 at the moment the acceleration starts.
Seems a sensible choice. Say the acceleration is given by a spring which is compressed. It could sit in that state indefinitely, until you release the particle. Then something interesting happens, so you start measuring from that moment and call that t=0.

To keep you happy, acceleration was 0 or null at t=-1, t=-7.5, t= -0.000000000000000000001, but rises to 10 m/sec2 (or whatever that blurred figure is) at t=0.

Likes Pierce610 and Suraj M
Merlin3189 said:
Since a is a function of time, ∫adt is not a∫dt

You need to write a as a function of t then integrate it correctly.
oh yeah, i don't how i missed that..
so ##a=10-βt## where ##β= \frac{da}{dt}##
so ##β=\frac{10}{11}##
so i get $$∫_{0}^{11}(10 - \frac{10}{11}t)dt =∫_{0}^{v}dv$$
so then i get ## 10(11-0)-(\frac{10}{11}).(11^2 -0) = v##
so ##v = 110-110=0## huh?

Suraj M said:
so i get ##∫_{0}^{11}(10 - \frac{10}{11}t)dt ##
Try this integration again. Show intermediate steps.

NascentOxygen said:
Try this integration again. Show intermediate steps.
$$∫_{0}^{11}(10dt -\frac{10}{11}tdt)=∫_{0}^{v_f}dv$$
$$10(t_f -0) - \frac{10}{11}(\frac{t_f^2}{2}-0)=v_f-0$$
so then substituting ##t_f=11##
Ok got it.. thanks, sorry for the stupid mistake

Last edited:
What is the integral of tdt? (Hint: it's not t2)

Chet

Likes Suraj M
Pierce610 said:
But if a particle starts from rest and its acceleration vs time graph is as shown, I ask to myself why at the intial time the initial acceleration is not null?
What physical law that you are aware of says that the acceleration of a particle has to be continuous with time?

Chet

Yes. It's just your integral.
∫ k dt = kt , but ∫ kt dt ≠ kt2

Try differentiating kt2 and see what you get.

Edit - You posted the right answer while I was writing this!

Merlin3189 said:
Yes. It's just your integral.
∫ k dt = kt , but ∫ kt dt ≠ kt2

Try differentiating kt2 and see what you get.
Thank you, i corrected it.. in post #7
thank you for your help.

Mr. Chet ,
I wanted only say that the particle in question is defined to "start at rest" while in the graph, for how I think to interpretate it,seems to start with an initial acceleration not null. Isn't definition of rest "no acceleration"?

Pierce610 said:
Mr. Chet ,
I wanted only say that the particle in question is defined to "start at rest" while in the graph, for how I think to interpretate it,seems to start with an initial acceleration not null. Isn't definition of rest "no acceleration"?
No. Definition of "at rest" is zero velocity.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
No. Definition of "at rest" is zero velocity.

Chet
and then also the acceleration?

Pierce610 said:
and then also the acceleration?
No. Acceleration is rate of change of velocity.

but then let me know how is the acceleration of a particle at rest, that is with speed null?

Pierce610 said:
but then let me know how is the acceleration of a particle at rest, that is with speed null?
Imagine that, at times t<0, the velocity is zero, and at times t>0, the velocity is kt, where k is a constant. So the velocity is a continuous function of time. What is the acceleration at times t < 0? What is the acceleration at times t > 0? Is the acceleration a continuous function of time at t = 0?

Chet

Likes Pierce610
I've understand: before a particle moves with constant speed v, it needs to be accelerated.
It can't move from 0 to v instantly. Also in free fall it should be an acceleration not null at the start time, 9.8 m/s^2

Pierce610 said:
If a stationary particle were to have no acceleration, it would forever remain at rest.

Related to How Do You Calculate Maximum Speed from a Non-Constant Acceleration Time Graph?

What is an acceleration time graph?

An acceleration time graph is a graphical representation of an object's acceleration over time. It shows how an object's velocity changes over time and can help us understand the motion of an object.

How is an acceleration time graph different from a velocity time graph?

An acceleration time graph shows an object's acceleration over time, while a velocity time graph shows an object's velocity over time. The slope of an acceleration time graph represents the change in velocity, while the slope of a velocity time graph represents the change in position.

What does a straight line on an acceleration time graph mean?

A straight line on an acceleration time graph indicates that the object is experiencing constant acceleration. The steeper the slope of the line, the greater the acceleration. A horizontal line on the graph means the object is not accelerating, and a vertical line means the object is changing direction.

How can an acceleration time graph be used to calculate an object's velocity?

The slope of an acceleration time graph can be used to calculate an object's velocity. The average acceleration is equal to the change in velocity divided by the change in time. Therefore, the slope of the graph can be used to find the average acceleration, which can then be used to calculate the velocity.

Can an acceleration time graph be used for non-uniform acceleration?

Yes, an acceleration time graph can be used for non-uniform acceleration. The slope of the graph at any given point represents the instantaneous acceleration at that point. Therefore, even if the acceleration is changing, the graph can still be used to determine the acceleration at a specific time.