How Do You Calculate Mass Using Newton's Laws?

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Newton's laws to solve a problem involving the mass of a fork. The participants consider the forces acting on the fork, including the applied force and weight, and use Newton's second law to calculate the mass of the fork.
ouse
Newtons Laws?

well i tied this prpblem
you apply a force of .35 n [up] to a fork and it accelaraion is .15m/s^2 wats its mass in grams
well i tried rearanging the force equation
m=a/f
but i got the worng answer si i thoght i rearanged wrong so i tried swithing the varables but that stil didnt work so i figerd there must be another force the only on i can think of is gravty 9.8 m/s^2 [down] but they are on oppiste sides si i just need to know ehn adding vectors that are both horizantal do u still need to do a vector diagem and get their components then solve or is there an esier way :confused: :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. There are 2 forces acting in opposite directions. Why do you think you have it wrong?

Hey!

Try this! First your error was that you are not converting the force(N), into grams remember that N= kg*m/s^2. So, what you really have is 350g*m/s^2. Then Newton's second law says F=m*a. So, what we do is we divide by the acceleration(a) both sides, as a result you will have m=F/a, the answer should be 2333g.

the book answere was 35g

It looks like you realize that two forces act on the fork: the applied force of 0.35 N acting upward, and the weight acting downward. Weight depends on mass according to the formula [itex]w = m g[/itex].

If you take up as positive, then the net force will be the Applied force minus the weight. Set that equal to "ma" and solve for the mass.

Related to How Do You Calculate Mass Using Newton's Laws?

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three fundamental laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and are still used today to understand and predict the motion of objects.

2. How do I apply Newton's Laws of Motion in problem solving?

To apply Newton's Laws of Motion in problem solving, you first need to identify the forces acting on the object, including any external forces and the object's own weight. Then, use Newton's Second Law (F = ma) to calculate the acceleration. Finally, use Newton's Third Law (action and reaction) to determine the direction of the resulting motion.

3. What are some common misconceptions about Newton's Laws of Motion?

One common misconception is that an object in motion will stay in motion forever without any external force acting on it. However, according to Newton's First Law, an object will only continue in motion if there is no net force acting on it. Another misconception is that all objects fall at the same rate, but in reality, an object's mass does affect its rate of acceleration due to gravity, as stated in Newton's Second Law.

4. How do Newton's Laws of Motion relate to real-life situations?

Newton's Laws of Motion can be observed in many real-life situations, such as the motion of objects on Earth or in space, the movement of vehicles, and the behavior of fluids. For example, Newton's Third Law can be seen in action when a rocket is launched into space, as the force of the exhaust propels the rocket in the opposite direction.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding Newton's Laws of Motion?

Understanding Newton's Laws of Motion is crucial in many fields, including engineering, physics, and sports. Engineers use these laws to design structures and machines that can withstand different forces. Physicists use them to study the motion of objects and predict their behavior. In sports, athletes use these laws to improve their performance and minimize the risk of injury.