How Do You Apply Coulomb's Law to Calculate Forces in a 3D Coordinate System?

In summary: The x y z components of ##\vec r_{12}## are the differences in the x y z components of ##\vec r_2## and ##\vec r_1## respectively.In summary, the problem involves an xyz coordinate system with three charged particles: particle 1 with a charge of -6.5μC located at (4.0 m, -2.0 m, 0), particle 2 with a charge of 12μC located at (1.0 m, 2.0 m, 0), and an electron located at (-1.0 m, 0, 0). The objective is to find the x, y, and z components of the vector sum of
CaptainOfSmug

Homework Statement

An xyz coordinate system contains three charged particles: particle 1, q1=− 6.5μC , at (4.0 m,-2.0 m, 0); particle 2, q2 = 12μC , at (1.0 m,2.0 m, 0); and an electron at at (-1.0 m, 0, 0).

Determine the x, y, z components of the vector sum of the vectors of the electric forces exerted on the electron by particles 1 and 2.

Homework Equations

[itex]F = \frac {kq_1q_2} {r^2_(12)}[/itex]
Distance formula

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay,

So I first started off by plotting all the points, finding the expected final force and direction pictorially. Now, plugging and chugging Coulombs Law was my first instinct but unfortunately I came into problems (most likely with vectors). I know I needed to find the distance between both the particles and the electron. I did this by just using distance formula where I got:
Distance between 3 and 2: [itex]2\sqrt2[/itex]
Distance between 3 and 1: [itex]\sqrt29[/itex]

Now here is where my problem is arising. Obviously this is in 3 space so I'm assuming the directional values applied to Coulombs law will need to be in vectors. My book did not go into any sort of detail on this and I'm not sure how the formula would then look.

Could I potentially just take make a unit vector out of all three points and then multiply them by the respective force formulas? And if this is the case, would my distance formula idea be wrong? I'm trying to remember if it is "legal" to multiply my scalar by a unit vector...

Anyhow I greatly appreciate any help, I've been pondering this problem for a couple hours now with not a whole lot to show for it...

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
The vector form of coulombs law is: $$\vec F_{12} = \frac{kq_1q_2}{r_{12}^3}\vec r_{12}$$ ... where I am using a notation so that: ##F_{12}## is the force on particle 2 due to particle 1, ##\vec r_{12}## is the position vector pointing from particle 1 to particle 2 and ##r_{12} = |\vec r_{12}|##

If you have ##\vec r_1## and ##\vec r_2## which are the vectors pointing from the origin to positions 1 and 2 respectively, then what is the vector equation that relates them to ##\vec r_{12}## which is the vector pointing from position 1 to position 2?

In your problem, you are going to have to break the vectors down to their x y z components.

What is Coulomb's Law in 3-space?

Coulomb's Law in 3-space is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles in three-dimensional space. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How is Coulomb's Law in 3-space different from Coulomb's Law in 2-space?

Coulomb's Law in 3-space takes into account the three-dimensional nature of space, whereas Coulomb's Law in 2-space only considers the forces between charged particles on a flat surface. In 3-space, the distance between two charged particles is calculated using the three-dimensional distance formula, while in 2-space, the distance is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

What is the mathematical formula for Coulomb's Law in 3-space?

The mathematical formula for Coulomb's Law in 3-space is F = k * (q1 * q2)/r^2, where F is the force between the two charged particles, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

How is Coulomb's Law in 3-space used in real-life applications?

Coulomb's Law in 3-space is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits, the functioning of electronic devices, and the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. It is also used in the fields of electromagnetism, telecommunications, and particle physics.

What are the limitations of Coulomb's Law in 3-space?

Coulomb's Law in 3-space is limited in its applicability to point charges, which are theoretical particles with no physical size. It also does not take into account the effects of relativity or quantum mechanics. Additionally, it assumes that the charges are stationary, and does not account for the effects of moving charges.