How Do You Calculate Kinetic Energy of Neutrons for Diffraction Analysis?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the momentum and kinetic energy of neutrons with a wavelength equal to the spacing between lattice planes in a crystal. The correct answer for the momentum is 2.5×10−24kgms-1, and the correct kinetic energy is 1.80*10^-21J. The conversation also touches on finding the gas temperature if the neutrons were in an ideal gas, with the correct equation being 0.5mv2 = (3/2)kT.
louza8

Homework Statement

Suppose you want to observe neutron diffraction in a crystal with 0.27nm spacing between lattice planes.

Part A asks for the momentum of neutrons with a wavelength equal to the spacing. I used p = h/lambda to get the correct answer 2.5×10−24kgms-1

Question1:

Find the kinetic energy of neutrons having wavelength equal to this spacing.

Question2:
If these neutrons constituted an ideal gas, what would be the gas temperature?

Homework Equations

Q1. k=0.5mv2
Q2. PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

Q1: I've tried a couple of different methods, don't know if I'm going the right way with this.
k=0.5mv2
0.5(1.67*10^-27)(1.47*10^3)^2 = 1.80*10^-21J

is this correct?
Q2: I have no idea.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Q1 is correct.

What is the average kinetic energy of an atom or molecule in an ideal gas?

ehild

Ah, cool.

so 0.5mv^2 = (3/2)kT? So just rearrange to get T with k being boltzmann's constant?

Helpful as always ehild. Thanks.

I hope it is that easy. Try. ehild

correct, thanks

Related to How Do You Calculate Kinetic Energy of Neutrons for Diffraction Analysis?

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

2. How is the kinetic energy of a neutron different from other particles?

The kinetic energy of a neutron is unique because it is a subatomic particle with no electric charge. This means it does not interact with electric or magnetic fields, giving it a different trajectory and energy compared to charged particles.

3. How is the kinetic energy of a neutron measured?

The kinetic energy of a neutron can be measured using a technique called time-of-flight spectroscopy. This involves measuring the time it takes for the neutron to travel a certain distance, which is then used to calculate its velocity and thus, kinetic energy.

4. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a neutron?

The kinetic energy of a neutron is affected by its mass, velocity, and any external forces acting on it. Additionally, the medium in which the neutron is traveling can also affect its kinetic energy.

5. What are the applications of studying the kinetic energy of neutrons?

Studying the kinetic energy of neutrons is important in various fields such as nuclear physics, material science, and nuclear engineering. It can help us understand the behavior of particles in different environments and aid in the development of new technologies.