Homework -- wavelength associated with a neutron moving with energy of 2ev

In summary, to calculate the de-Broglie wavelength of a neutron moving with an energy of 2eV, we use the equation λ = h/mv, where v is the velocity of the neutron. Using the given mass of the proton as the mass of the neutron, we can calculate the velocity using the equation v = √(2E/m). When the energy is given in eV, the resulting wavelength is 2.02*10^-11m. However, if the energy is given in keV, the resulting wavelength is 6.4*10^-13m. It is important to confirm the units of the given energy to get the correct answer.
as123

Homework Statement

Calculate the de - Broglie wavelength associated with a neutron moving with energy of 2ev .( mass of proton mp= 1.67*10^-27 kg )

Homework Equations

Wavelength= nh/ 2π
KE = eVs = 1/ 2mv^2
eVs=hf
Wavelength= v*f

The Attempt at a Solution

To calculate the wavelength at first I required velocity that I got from second equation.
I substituted mass of proton since its equal to that of neutron.
Then I got the frequency from third equation and put it in equation fourth.
But I didn't get the required answer.
De- Broglie wavelength is associated with first equation . so I am confused with it
I will really appreciate your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
as123 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the de - Broglie wavelength associated with a neutron moving with energy of 2ev .( mass of proton mp= 1.67*10^-27 kg )

Weird that they give you the mass of the proton. Likely it's a typo. You can use that value as the mass of the neutron as it's essentially the same.

Look up the definition of the deBroglie wavelength.

Wavelength= nh/ 2π

##\frac{nh}{2\pi}## is the angular momentum of an electron in the Bohr atom, it's not a wavelength.

eVs=hf

##hf## is the energy of a photon, a massless particle that moves at speed c. It's not the energy of a massive particle such as a neutron that travels at a speed less than c.

Wavelength= v*f
##\frac{v}{f}## is the wavelength of a wave of frequency ##f## moving at speed ##v##.

Last edited:
[Moderator's note: Fixed a broken quote tag]
Mister T said:
Weird that they give you the mass of the proton. Likely it's a typo. You can use that value as the mass of the neutron as it's essentially the same.

Look up the definition of the deBroglie wavelength.
##\frac{nh}{2\pi}## is the angular momentum of an electron in the Bohr atom, it's not a wavelength.
##hf## is the energy of a photon, a massless particle that moves at speed c. It's not the energy of a massive particle such as a neutron that travels at a speed less than c.##\frac{v}{f}## is the wavelength of a wave of frequency ##f## moving at speed ##v##.
Oo. Thank you. I got it
de-broglie wavelength is h/ mv and v=
√2E/m
Putting the values I got the answer as
2.02*10^-11m . but the answer given is 6.4*10^-13 . I think I messed up somewhere. I want some help.thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
as123 said:
Oo. Thank you. I got it
de-broglie wavelength is h/ mv and v=
√2E/m
Putting the values I got the answer as
2.02*10^-11m . but the answer given is 6.4*10^-13 . I think I messed up somewhere. I want some help.thank you.
Can you check your question source to confirm the given energy of the neutron? Was the value given in eV or keV?

gneill said:
Can you check your question source to confirm the given energy of the neutron? Was the value given in eV or keV?
The energy is given in eV
I checked two sources. But I got the correct answer with 2kev .
Thank you very much for the hint.

Related to Homework -- wavelength associated with a neutron moving with energy of 2ev

1. What is the formula for calculating the wavelength associated with a neutron moving with energy of 2ev?

The formula for calculating the wavelength associated with a neutron moving with energy of 2ev is λ = h / √(2mE), where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the neutron, and E is the energy in electron volts (eV).

2. How do I convert the energy of 2ev into joules?

To convert the energy of 2ev into joules, you can use the formula 1 eV = 1.602 x 10^-19 J. Therefore, 2 eV is equivalent to 3.204 x 10^-19 J.

3. What is the mass of a neutron?

The mass of a neutron is approximately 1.675 x 10^-27 kilograms.

4. How do I find the value of Planck's constant?

The value of Planck's constant, denoted by h, is 6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds. It is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics and is used in various equations to calculate different physical quantities.

5. Can the wavelength associated with a neutron change?

Yes, the wavelength associated with a neutron can change depending on its energy. As the energy of the neutron increases, its wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This phenomenon is known as the wave-particle duality of matter and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.