How Do You Calculate Initial Velocity of an Arrow Shot Straight Up?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the initial velocity needed to shoot an arrow into the air and reach a height of 25.0 above its launch point. The formula provided is v^2 = initial velocity + 2(-9.8m/s^2)(25m), but it is unclear if the initial velocity should be zero. The correct answer is 22.3, but it is unknown how the textbook arrived at that answer.
swatmedic05
You shoot an arrow into the air. Two seconds later (2.00 ) the arrow has gone straight upward to a height of 25.0 above its launch point
What is the initial velocity or the formula I would use to find

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for max velocity? Initial velocity at what point? Before you shot it would be zero. At max height it would also be zero.

the right answer is 22.3 but i don't know how the book got that answer

can you post the entire question.

That is the entire question: My homework is on masteringphysics.com

There is not enough information to find the answer.

I apologize I think I just figured it out. Here is the formula
velocity & displacement:
v^2=initial velocity+2(-9.8m/s^2)(25m) but your initial velocity should be zero so are you sure that that is what the question is asking for.

Related to How Do You Calculate Initial Velocity of an Arrow Shot Straight Up?

1. What is arrow initial velocity?

Arrow initial velocity refers to the speed at which an arrow is launched or shot from a bow. It is the velocity at the moment the arrow leaves the bowstring and begins its flight.

2. How is arrow initial velocity measured?

Arrow initial velocity can be measured using a chronograph, which uses infrared sensors to track the speed of the arrow as it passes through the sensors. It can also be calculated using the distance the arrow travels and the time it takes to reach that distance.

3. Why is arrow initial velocity important?

Arrow initial velocity is important because it can affect the accuracy and distance of the arrow's flight. A higher initial velocity can result in a longer and more consistent flight, while a lower initial velocity may result in a shorter and less accurate flight.

4. What factors can affect arrow initial velocity?

Several factors can affect arrow initial velocity, including the draw weight and length of the bow, the weight and stiffness of the arrow, and the archer's technique and form. Environmental factors such as wind and air resistance can also play a role.

5. How can arrow initial velocity be increased?

Arrow initial velocity can be increased by using a bow with a higher draw weight, choosing lighter and stiffer arrows, and improving the archer's technique. Modifications such as using a release aid or increasing the bow's draw length can also help increase initial velocity.