How Do You Calculate Initial Current in a Multi-Capacitor RC Circuit?

In summary, the problem involves a circuit with a 2-microfarad capacitor that is initially fully charged by a 2,000 Volt power supply. At a later time, switch S1 is opened and switch S2 is closed, connecting the capacitor to an initially uncharged 6-microfarad capacitor. The objective is to determine the initial current in the resistor after switch S2 is closed. The relevant equations are for discharging a capacitor and Ohm's law. The initial current can be found by finding the initial potential across the resistor, which can be calculated using the initial voltages on the two capacitors at the instant S2 is closed.
jforce93

Homework Statement

The circuit used in this problem is attached as an image. I made this in gEDA (the circuit is from the homework problem, I just didn't feel like using a scanner to get the image)
The 2-microfarad capacitor shown in the circuit attached is fully charged by closing switch S1 and keeping switch S2 open, thus connecting the capacitor to the 2,000 Volt power supply. At a later time, switch S1 is opened. Switch S2 is then closed. The 6-micro farad capacitor is initially uncharged. Determine the initial current in teh resistor the instant after switched S2 is closed.

Homework Equations

I = [itex]\frac{-q0}{RC}[/itex] e-t/RC (discharging a capacitor)
V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to go about this, and I don't have an answer key. Should I calculate using the fact that the 2 micro farad capacitor is discharging, or the fact that the 6 microfarad capacitor is charing?
Thanks!

Jordan

Attachments

• circuit final.png
    circuit final.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, forgot to attach a picture of the circuit. Will do that soon.

To find the initial current through the resistor, find the initial potential across that resistor. What are the initial voltages on the two capacitors at the instant S2 is closed?

Related to How Do You Calculate Initial Current in a Multi-Capacitor RC Circuit?

What is a multiple capacitor RC circuit?

A multiple capacitor RC circuit is a circuit that contains more than one capacitor and at least one resistor. It is used to store and release electrical energy in a controlled manner.

How does a multiple capacitor RC circuit work?

In a multiple capacitor RC circuit, the capacitors are connected in parallel with each other and in series with the resistor. This allows the capacitors to charge and discharge at different rates, creating a time delay in the circuit.

What is the time constant of a multiple capacitor RC circuit?

The time constant of a multiple capacitor RC circuit is the product of the resistance and the total capacitance in the circuit. It represents the amount of time it takes for the capacitor(s) to charge or discharge to 63.2% of their maximum voltage.

How do you calculate the total capacitance in a multiple capacitor RC circuit?

The total capacitance in a multiple capacitor RC circuit is calculated by adding the individual capacitances of the capacitors in parallel. If the capacitors are not of equal value, the equivalent capacitance can be calculated using the formula 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + ... + 1/Cn, where C1, C2, etc. are the individual capacitances.

What are the applications of multiple capacitor RC circuits?

Multiple capacitor RC circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as timers, filters, and oscillators. They are also used in power supplies to smooth out fluctuations in voltage and in audio equipment to control the frequency response.