Solve RC Circuit Problem: 45V -> 10V in 4.21ms

In summary, the question asks about the time it takes for the potential across each capacitor in a parallel RC circuit to be reduced from 45.0V to 10.0V. Using the known values of the capacitors and resistors, it is found that the equivalent capacitance is 8.57 μF. The formula q=Q(initial)e^(-t/RC) is then used to find the time at which the potential is 10.0V, taking into account that both capacitors are discharging. The correct answer is found to be 4.21 milliseconds, which is different from the incorrect answer of 1.8 milliseconds obtained using a single capacitor approach.
alteradoplebada

Homework Statement

I have an RC circuit with two capacitors connected in parallel. Both capacitors are initially charged to 45.0 V.
a.) How long after closing the switch S will the potential across each capacitor be reduced to 10.0V?
Knowns:
C1= 15.0 microFarads
C2= 20.0 microFarads
R1= 30.0 ohms
R2= 50.0 ohms
Here is a diagram. http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/questions-and-answers/circuit-shown-figure-capacitors-areinitially-charged-450--long-closing-switch-s-potential--q201797

Homework Equations

v=q/c
q=Q(initial)e^(-t/RC)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that both capacitors have the same potential difference because they are connected in parallel.
I have used v=q/c to find the charge q of the first capacitor when the potential v is 10 V.
q=vc
=10V*(15*10^-6F)
=1.5*10^-4C

Next, I found the initial charge of the first capacitor.Q(initial)
Q(initial)=45V*(15*10^-6F)
=6.75*10^-4C

Lastly, I foundthe time at which the potential of the first capacitor is 10V which corresponds to the charge q at that time.
q=Q(initial)*e^(-t/RC)
solving for time t=-RC*ln(q/Q(initial))
My answer comes out as 1.8 milliseconds but the correct answer is 4.21 milliseconds. Is there something wrong in my understanding of the problem? What is going on here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
alteradoplebada said:
v=q/c
q=Q(initial)e^(-t/RC)

So , according to you , formula for qt of a single capacitor in this question would follow the same function rule as in the case of a single capacitor RC circuit ?

*Hint - Solve using equivalent capacitance .

alteradoplebada said:

Homework Statement

I have an RC circuit with two capacitors connected in parallel. Both capacitors are initially charged to 45.0 V.
a.) How long after closing the switch S will the potential across each capacitor be reduced to 10.0V?
Knowns:
C1= 15.0 microFarads
C2= 20.0 microFarads
R1= 30.0 ohms
R2= 50.0 ohms
Here is a diagram. http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/questions-and-answers/circuit-shown-figure-capacitors-areinitially-charged-450--long-closing-switch-s-potential--q201797

Homework Equations

v=q/c
q=Q(initial)e^(-t/RC)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that both capacitors have the same potential difference because they are connected in parallel.
I have used v=q/c to find the charge q of the first capacitor when the potential v is 10 V.
q=vc
=10V*(15*10^-6F)
=1.5*10^-4C

Next, I found the initial charge of the first capacitor.Q(initial)
Q(initial)=45V*(15*10^-6F)
=6.75*10^-4C

Lastly, I foundthe time at which the potential of the first capacitor is 10V which corresponds to the charge q at that time.
q=Q(initial)*e^(-t/RC)
solving for time t=-RC*ln(q/Q(initial))
My answer comes out as 1.8 milliseconds but the correct answer is 4.21 milliseconds. Is there something wrong in my understanding of the problem? What is going on here?
Hello alteradoplebada. Welcome to PF !

Here is what is shown in that link:

In the circuit shown in the figure both capacitors are initially charged to 45.0
render?units=V.gif

51d4cc78402dd4116c038523c1317fa7.jpg

How long after closing the switch S will the potential across each capacitor be reduced to 15.0
render?units=V.gif
?

What will be the current at that time?​

What did you use for R and C to get the time constant?

Hello. In my case the potential would be reduced to 10 V not 15V. All the values in the diagram are correct.
I used 80 ohm for the resistance. For the capacitance I used 15 microFarads. Am I wrong in my approach? I am finding the charge of the 15 microFarad capacitor when its potential is 10 V. q=vc Then i find the time at which the charge is q which corresponds to the potential being 10 V. q=Q(initial)*e^(-t/RC). I solve for t.

Last edited by a moderator:
alteradoplebada said:
Hello. In my case the potential would be reduced to 10 V not 15V. All the values in the diagram are correct.
I used 80 ohm for the resistance. For the capacitance I used 15 microFarads. Am I wrong in my approach? I am finding the charge of the 15 microFarad capacitor when its potential is 10 V. q=vc Then i find the time at which the charge is q which corresponds to the potential being 10 V. q=Q(initial)*e^(-t/RC). I solve for t.
Yes, you are wrong in your approach.

The 20 μF capacitor also discharges. You need to take into account that both capacitors are discharging. The easiest way to do that is to use equivalent capacitance.

Related to Solve RC Circuit Problem: 45V -> 10V in 4.21ms

1. How do I calculate the time constant for an RC circuit?

The time constant for an RC circuit can be calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads. The formula is: RC = R x C. In this problem, the time constant would be 4.21ms.

2. What is the voltage across the capacitor after 4.21ms?

To calculate the voltage across the capacitor after 4.21ms, you can use the formula Vc = V0 x (1 - e^-t/RC), where V0 is the initial voltage, t is the time, and RC is the time constant. In this problem, the voltage across the capacitor after 4.21ms would be 10V.

3. What is the current through the circuit at 4.21ms?

The current through the circuit at 4.21ms can be calculated by dividing the voltage across the capacitor (10V) by the resistance (R) in ohms. In this problem, the current through the circuit at 4.21ms would be 2.22mA.

4. How long does it take for the capacitor to discharge from 45V to 10V?

To calculate the time it takes for the capacitor to discharge from 45V to 10V, you can use the formula t = -RC x ln(Vf/Vi), where Vf is the final voltage (10V), Vi is the initial voltage (45V), and RC is the time constant. In this problem, it would take approximately 4.21ms for the capacitor to discharge.

5. What is the purpose of solving RC circuit problems?

Solving RC circuit problems helps us understand the behavior of circuits with resistors and capacitors and how they affect the flow of electricity. It also allows us to make predictions and design circuits for specific purposes.