How Do You Calculate Induced Current in a Metal Ring at a Specific Time?

In summary, the magnetic flux through a metal ring can be calculated using the equation B = 3(at^3 - bt^2) Tm^2, where a = 2.00 s^-3 and b = 6.00 s^-2. To determine the current induced in the ring at t = 1.00 s, the equation emf = -d/dt (mag flux) can be used, where mag flux is B * A * cosine of the angle between them. If the area is constant and the angle is zero, the equation simplifies to the derivative of B, which can be solved by plugging in t = 1.00 s. The resulting emf can then be divided by
jenner7231
I need help solving this question:

The magnetic flux through a metal ring varies with time t according to B = 3( at 3 - bt 2) Tm2, with a = 2.00 s-3 and b = 6.00 s-2. The resistance of the ring is 3.20 . Determine the current induced in the ring at t = 1.00 s.

I know that you have to take the integral of B. The equation that I came up with is emf=-n*integral of B*di/dt

I don't know if that is right though..help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you have the area of the ring, then you can use the equation

emf = - d/dt (mag flux)

where mag flux is B (magnetic field) * A (area) * cosine of the angle between them.

If area is constant and the angle between the area vector and magnetic field is zero, we are left with the derivative of B, which is simple to solve. Plug in t=1.00s and multiply everything out and you have emf.

Having solved for emf, just divide by the resistance to find current.

Tell me if this helps.

Related to How Do You Calculate Induced Current in a Metal Ring at a Specific Time?

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is the measure of the total magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of Webers (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux through metal measured?

Magnetic flux through metal can be measured using a magnetic flux meter, which uses a Hall effect sensor to detect and measure the magnetic field passing through the metal.

3. What factors affect the magnetic flux through metal?

The magnetic flux through metal is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the area of the metal, and the angle at which the magnetic field intersects the metal surface.

4. How does the type of metal affect the magnetic flux?

The type of metal can affect the magnetic flux through it, as some metals have higher permeability (ability to be magnetized) than others. This can result in a stronger or weaker magnetic flux depending on the type of metal.

5. Can the magnetic flux through metal be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic flux through metal can be manipulated by changing the strength of the magnetic field or by changing the orientation of the metal in relation to the magnetic field. This is why magnets can be used to attract or repel metal objects.