How Do You Calculate Final Velocity with Constant Acceleration?

In summary, an object has a velocity of 20 kilometers per hour if it traveled 120 kilometers in three hours at a constant acceleration. The final velocity is V^2=Vo^2+2ad.
albodibran

Homework Statement

a car is at a velocity of 20 km/h if the car traveled 120 km in 3 hours at constant accelration. what is the final velocity?

Homework Equations

V^2=Vo^2+2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely confused. The book does not even list the particular formula above. And not much practice examples are given . I have an issue with understanding these variables. I don't see the correlation between the variables and the particular numbers. and its making a potentially easy problem non understandable.

please help

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF albodibran!

albodibran said:

Homework Statement

a car is at a velocity of 20 km/h if the car traveled 120 km in 3 hours at constant accelration. what is the final velocity?

Homework Equations

V^2=Vo^2+2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely confused. The book does not even list the particular formula above. And not much practice examples are given . I have an issue with understanding these variables. I don't see the correlation between the variables and the particular numbers. and its making a potentially easy problem non understandable.

please help

In the equation you typed above, v is the current velocity (when the object is at distance d from its starting point), v0 is the initial velocity (when the object began accelerating). The variable 'a' is the acceleration (which is constant in this case) and d is the total displacement.

However, you don't need this equation. In fact, you don't even need the distance value you were given. Answer this question: what is the definition of acceleration?

Bearing in mind the definition above, if you have an acceleration value, and a time interval, what can those two things tell you about the velocity over that time interval?

First, welcome to PF!

Let's see if we can help get you straightened out.

If we have constant acceleration,

[itex] V= V_0 + at (1)[/itex]

[itex]V[/itex] is the final velocity, [itex]V_0[/itex] is the initial velocity, [itex]a[/itex] is the acceleration, and [itex]t[/itex] is the time.

Also, we have the displacement,
[itex] d = \frac{1}{2}(V + V_0) t (2)[/itex]

[itex]d[/itex] here, as said, is the distance traveled, also known as displacement.

If we rearrange (1) to solve for t, we get
[itex] t = \frac{V-V_0}{a} (3)[/itex]

Now from here, just substitute (3) into (2) for t. You then have:
[itex]d = \frac{1}{2}(V + V_0) (\frac{V-V_0}{a})[/itex]

When you work out your multiplication (I hope you're verifying what I'm doing here, it'll help) and rearrange things,

[itex]V^2 = V_0^2 + 2ad[/itex]

Does that help you to see where they are coming from? If not, let us know and we'll see what we can do for you.

I figured that out thank you I will post a issue I have with part of another problem

The final velocity is the velocity of the car at the end of its journey. In this case, the car has traveled 120 km in 3 hours at a constant acceleration. We can use the formula V^2=Vo^2+2ad to calculate the final velocity, where V is the final velocity, Vo is the initial velocity (20 km/h in this case), a is the acceleration, and d is the distance traveled (120 km in this case).

Substituting the values into the formula, we get:

V^2 = (20 km/h)^2 + 2(a)(120 km)

V^2 = 400 km^2/h^2 + 240a km

To solve for V, we need to know the acceleration of the car. This information is not provided in the problem, so we cannot determine the final velocity with the given information. The book may have not listed this formula because it requires more information (such as the acceleration) to solve the problem.

In general, the final velocity can be calculated using the formula V = Vo + at, where V is the final velocity, Vo is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. However, since we do not have the acceleration in this problem, we cannot use this formula either. It is important to make sure all necessary information is provided in order to solve a problem accurately.

Related to How Do You Calculate Final Velocity with Constant Acceleration?

1. What is the definition of final velocity?

Final velocity is the measurement of an object's speed and direction at the end of its motion or trajectory.

2. How is final velocity calculated?

Final velocity can be calculated by taking the initial velocity of an object and adding the product of its acceleration and the time it has been in motion.

3. What is the difference between final velocity and initial velocity?

The main difference between final velocity and initial velocity is that initial velocity measures an object's speed and direction at the beginning of its motion, while final velocity measures its speed and direction at the end of its motion.

4. Is final velocity always the same as average velocity?

No, final velocity and average velocity are not always the same. Average velocity is measured over a specific time interval, while final velocity is measured at a specific point in time.

5. Can final velocity be negative?

Yes, final velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. This indicates that the object is slowing down or changing direction.