How Do You Calculate Atomic Plane Spacing in a Cleaved Crystal?

• Thread starter bang911
  • Start date
In summary, the spacing between two atomic planes that separate when a crystal cleaves along a face diagonal is .141 nm.
bang911
I just had my first college physics class today, and already I'm stuck on the first problem. I already had physics in HS and I expected I wouldn't have that much trouble in college. So here is a question that I have no clue how to answer.

A crystalline solid consists of atoms stacked up in a repeating lattice structure. Consider a crystal as shown in figure p1. The atoms reside at the corners of the cubes of side L = 0.200 nm. One piece of evidence for the regular arrangement of atoms comes from the flat surfaces along which a crystal separates, or cleaves, when it is broken. Suppose this crystal cleaves along a face diagonal as in p2. Calculate the spacing d between two adjacent atomic planes that separate when the crystal cleaves.

(the pictures are in 3d)

OOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOO
l<-L->l \d\

OO OOOOOO
OOO OOOOO
OOOO OOOO

the answer is .141 nm

so if anyone would help me out with this i would greatly appreciate it

Physics news on Phys.org
bang911 said:
A crystalline solid consists of atoms stacked up in a repeating lattice structure. Consider a crystal as shown in figure p1. The atoms reside at the corners of the cubes of side L = 0.200 nm. One piece of evidence for the regular arrangement of atoms comes from the flat surfaces along which a crystal separates, or cleaves, when it is broken. Suppose this crystal cleaves along a face diagonal as in p2. Calculate the spacing d between two adjacent atomic planes that separate when the crystal cleaves.

(the pictures are in 3d)

Well, maybe my picture helps.

ehild

Last edited:
Yeah, that picture is helpful.

Just use the Pythagorean theorem :cool:

Ya I had no clue how the pythagorean theorm was to be used when i read the problem. Thanks for the post and that nice diagram though. Doesn't seem tough any more. :cool:

bang911 said:
Ya I had no clue how the pythagorean theorm was to be used when i read the problem. Thanks for the post and that nice diagram though. Doesn't seem tough any more. :cool:

It's a pleasure ... :smile:

ehild

Related to How Do You Calculate Atomic Plane Spacing in a Cleaved Crystal?

1. Why is this problem not a tough one to solve?

The phrase "shouldn't be a tough problem to solve" implies that the problem is relatively simple or straightforward, and there are likely several factors contributing to this belief. It could be due to prior experience with similar problems, access to necessary resources and information, or a clear understanding of the problem's parameters and potential solutions. Additionally, the use of the phrase could simply be a way to express confidence or optimism in approaching the problem.

2. Can this problem be solved easily?

The phrase "shouldn't be a tough problem to solve" suggests that the problem is not expected to be overly complex or difficult to resolve. However, the ease of solving a problem can vary greatly depending on an individual's knowledge, skills, and resources. What may be an easy problem for one person could be challenging for another. Therefore, while the phrase may indicate that the problem is not expected to be too difficult, the actual ease of solving it may vary.

3. Is there a specific approach or method that should be used to solve this problem?

The phrase "shouldn't be a tough problem to solve" does not necessarily imply a specific approach or method for solving the problem. It could simply be a general statement about the perceived complexity of the problem. However, as a scientist, it is important to carefully consider the problem and determine the most appropriate approach or method for solving it based on available data, resources, and expertise.

4. Are there any potential challenges or obstacles that may arise in solving this problem?

While the phrase "shouldn't be a tough problem to solve" may suggest that the problem is not expected to be too challenging, it is important to consider potential obstacles or challenges that may arise. As a scientist, it is crucial to anticipate and address any potential issues that may arise in order to effectively and efficiently solve the problem.

5. What are the potential implications of solving this problem?

The phrase "shouldn't be a tough problem to solve" may indicate that the problem is not expected to have significant implications. However, every problem has the potential to impact individuals, communities, and the world in some way. As a scientist, it is important to carefully consider the potential implications of solving a problem and communicate them effectively to others.