How do you calculate annuity payments with a 5% increment each year?

In summary: Glad I could help. In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of annuity payments for the 1.5 billion dollar jackpot in the Powerball lottery. The payments are incremented by 5% each year and the question is how to calculate the individual payments. The solution involves using the geometric sum formula and solving for the initial amount, which is then used to calculate the payments for each year.
NameIsUnique
So, unless you've been living under a rock, you should know the jackpot for the powerball is at 1.5 billion dollars.

I was looking up the distribution of annuity payments and the website said that the payments are not equally distributed. They are incremented by 5% each year.

Like the nerd I am, I tried figuring out the math but didn't know where to start.

I know that 1.5 billion / 30 payments = 50 million a year (before taxes)

How would you go about figuring out 30 payments equating to 1.5 billion but the condition is that each payment is 5% more than the next?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
NameIsUnique said:
They are incremented by 5% each year.
NameIsUnique said:
the condition is that each payment is 5% more than the next?
Is the amount increasing or decreasing in time?

If the total amount is ##p## (= 1.5 billion dollars) and the rate of increase / decrease is ##\lambda## (= 1.05 or 0.95) and your amount in the ##k##th year is ##a_k##, then ##a_k = \lambda^{k-1}a_1## for ##k = 1,\ldots,n## where ##n## is the amount of years. Now set ##\sum_{k=1}^n{a_k} = p## (geometric sum) and solve for ##a_1##.

Likes NameIsUnique
Increasing.

Year 1 = x
Year 2 = x +(x* 0.05)
and keeps incrementing until 1.5 billion

Ok, so then you set ##\lambda = 1.05##, take the geometric sum and solve the equation for ##a_1##. Once ##a_1## is known, use the formula for ##a_k## to compute the amount in year ##k##.

Likes NameIsUnique
Thanks a lot!

Don't mention it. Just be sure to let me know if you win the jackpot :wink:

Krylov said:
Don't mention it. Just be sure to let me know if you win the jackpot :wink:
I just plugged it in year one

I think I'm doing it wrong.

1.5 billion = (1.05) ^ (1-1) * a1

and I solve for a1?

It seems like I get 1.5 billion

Nvm I get it.

No, that is not correct. You need to solve
$$
a_1\sum_{k=1}^n{\lambda^{k-1}} = p
$$
First you need to evaluate the sum, using the standard formula for the geometric sum. I leave that up to you as a challenge. Once that is done, you can solve for ##a_1##.

NameIsUnique said:
Nvm I get it.
Ok, very well!

Related to How do you calculate annuity payments with a 5% increment each year?

1. What is a formula for annuity payments?

The formula for annuity payments is used to calculate the fixed amount of money that will be paid out regularly over a certain period of time. It takes into account the interest rate, the total number of payments, and the present value of the annuity.

2. How is the formula for annuity payments calculated?

The formula for annuity payments is calculated by taking the present value of the annuity, multiplied by the interest rate, and then dividing by the difference of 1 and the interest rate to the power of the number of payments. This can be expressed as: A = P * r / (1 - (1 + r)^-n), where A is the annuity payment, P is the present value, r is the interest rate, and n is the number of payments.

3. What is the present value of an annuity?

The present value of an annuity is the current value of all future payments, discounted at a specific interest rate. It takes into account the time value of money, meaning that money received in the future is worth less than the same amount received in the present.

4. What is the significance of the interest rate in the formula for annuity payments?

The interest rate is a crucial factor in the formula for annuity payments as it determines the amount of money that will be paid out regularly. A higher interest rate will result in a larger annuity payment, while a lower interest rate will result in a smaller annuity payment.

5. Can the formula for annuity payments be used for any type of annuity?

No, the formula for annuity payments can only be used for fixed annuities, where the payments are a set amount at regular intervals. It cannot be used for variable annuities, where the payments may vary depending on investment performance.