How Do You Calculate Angular Momentum for a Particle in Non-Linear Motion?

In summary: Thankyou, i had convinced myself of that also after a while. Just had to make sure i wasn't missing anything. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angular momentum and force of a particle of mass m following a path given by the equation r = (Xo + at^2)x + bt^3 y + ct z. The angular momentum is found using the formula L = r x p, where p is the momentum of the particle. The force required to produce this motion is the second derivative of the position vector r.
karnten07

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m follows a path given by

r = (Xo + at^2)x + bt^3 y + ct z

where o, a, b and c are constants, t is the time. x, y , z should have hats on them showing they are position vectors (unit vectors).

1. Find the angular momentum L of the particle about the origin.
2. Find the force F required to produce this motion and verify explicitly that dL/dt = r x F

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

L = r x p

p = mv

to get v differentiate r w.r.t time to get v = 2at.x + (3bt^2)y + cz

Subsitute into the equation:

L = ((Xo + at^2)x + bt^3y + ctz) x m(2at.x + (3bt^2)y + cz)

Now to perform the cross product, I am a bit unsure here. For the cross product i have this formula:

r x p = x(ry.pz - rz.py) - y(rx.pz - rz.px) + z(rx.py - ry.px)

where the x,y,z are unit vectors and the other x,y and z's are in subscript showing the particular component of each vector. So I am a bit confused because do i just subsitute the constants from my equations of r and p or do i include their respective unit vecotrs associated with each component? But if i did that i would get for example x x y = z so would make quite a difference.

Any thought guys, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
karnten07 said:

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m follows a path given by

r = (Xo + at^2)x + bt^3 y + ct z

where o, a, b and c are constants, t is the time. x, y , z should have hats on them showing they are position vectors (unit vectors).

1. Find the angular momentum L of the particle about the origin.
2. Find the force F required to produce this motion and verify explicitly that dL/dt = r x F

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

L = r x p

p = mv

to get v differentiate r w.r.t time to get v = 2at.x + (3bt^2)y + cz

Subsitute into the equation:

L = ((Xo + at^2)x + bt^3y + ctz) x m(2at.x + (3bt^2)y + cz)

Now to perform the cross product, I am a bit unsure here. For the cross product i have this formula:

r x p = x(ry.pz - rz.py) - y(rx.pz - rz.px) + z(rx.py - ry.px)
to be more clear, this is

[tex]
\vec{ r} \times \vec{ p} = (r_y p_z - r_z p_y) \hat{i} - (r_x p_z - r_z p_x) \hat{j} + (r_x p_y - r_y p_x) \hat{k} [/tex]
where the x,y,z are unit vectors and the other x,y and z's are in subscript showing the particular component of each vector. So I am a bit confused because do i just subsitute the constants from my equations of r and p or do i include their respective unit vecotrs associated with each component? But if i did that i would get for example x x y = z so would make quite a difference.

Any thought guys, thanks
In the equation above, r_x, p_y, etc are the components of your vectors [itex] \vec{r}, \vec{p} [/itex].

nrqed said:
to be more clear, this is

[tex]
\vec{ r} \times \vec{ p} = (r_y p_z - r_z p_y) \hat{i} - (r_x p_z - r_z p_x) \hat{j} + (r_x p_y - r_y p_x) \hat{k} [/tex]

In the equation above, r_x, p_y, etc are the components of your vectors [itex] \vec{r}, \vec{p} [/itex].

Ok thankyou for explaining, i thought i was overthinking it. So i think that i get my value of L from r x p as:

x(mc(Xo + at^2 - 3bt^3)) - y(mc(Xo - at^2)) + z(mb(Xo + t^2(a+3-2at^2))

How do i find the Force required to produce this motion?

Edit: do i just take the double derivative of r to get the acceleration and use F = ma. Then by taking the derivative of L i can show that my F multiplied by r should equal this derivative?

Last edited:
karnten07 said:
Ok thankyou for explaining, i thought i was overthinking it. So i think that i get my value of L from r x p as:

x(mc(Xo + at^2 - 3bt^3)) - y(mc(Xo - at^2)) + z(mb(Xo + t^2(a+3-2at^2))

How do i find the Force required to produce this motion?

the force vector is simply the second derivative with respect to time of you rposition vector.

nrqed said:
the force vector is simply the second derivative with respect to time of you rposition vector.

I need to multiply it by m after differentiating it twice to get F right?

nrqed said:

Okay, I am taking the secomd derivative of r, but a bit sure on my math. I have

v = 2atx + 3bt^2 y + cz

for a I am getting it = 2ax + 6bt y

but i wasn't sure if the z component completely disappeared or if the cz become just z - sorry I am a bit rusty on this stuff. Anyone?

karnten07 said:
Okay, I am taking the secomd derivative of r, but a bit sure on my math. I have

v = 2atx + 3bt^2 y + cz

for a I am getting it = 2ax + 6bt y

but i wasn't sure if the z component completely disappeared or if the cz become just z - sorry I am a bit rusty on this stuff. Anyone?

The z component of a is zero . (if you want, the derivative of [itex] c \hat{k} [/itex] is zero. )

nrqed said:
The z component of a is zero . (if you want, the derivative of [itex] c \hatk} [/itex] is zero. )

Thankyou, i had convinced myself of that also after a while. Just had to check.

Related to How Do You Calculate Angular Momentum for a Particle in Non-Linear Motion?

1. What is angular motion of a particle?

Angular motion of a particle refers to the motion of a particle along a circular path. This type of motion involves both linear and rotational components.

2. What is the difference between linear and angular motion?

Linear motion involves movement in a straight line, while angular motion involves movement along a curved path. Additionally, linear motion is described in terms of displacement, velocity, and acceleration, while angular motion is described in terms of angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

3. What are the factors that affect angular motion?

The factors that affect angular motion include the radius of the circular path, the speed of the particle, and the direction of the angular velocity vector.

4. How is angular motion measured?

Angular motion is measured in radians, degrees, or revolutions. Radians are the most commonly used unit of measurement and are defined as the ratio of an arc length to the radius of the circle.

5. What is the equation for angular acceleration?

The equation for angular acceleration is α = (ωf - ωi) / t, where α is angular acceleration, ωf is final angular velocity, ωi is initial angular velocity, and t is time.