How Do You Calculate Angular Acceleration and Speed from a Position Function?

In summary: So the rule is:If y = x^n, then d^2y/dx^2 = n(n-1)x^(n-2)In summary, the angular position of a point on a 18.7 cm rotating wheel is given by θ(t) = 4.7 t2 − 7.2 t +9.7, where θ is measured in radians and t is measured in seconds. To find the instantaneous angular acceleration, the formula is α = dω/dt, and for the instantaneous tangential acceleration, the formula is a = Rα. The instantaneous angular velocity is ω = dθ/dt and the instantaneous speed is v = ω*R. The average angular speed
Fihzix

Homework Statement

The angular position of a point on the rim of a 18.7 cm rotating wheel is given by θ(t) = 4.7 t2 − 7.2 t +9.7, where θ is measured in radians and t is measured in seconds.

What is the instantaneous angular acceleration α of the point at time t = 6 s?
What is the instantaneous tangential (not radial!) acceleration a of the point at time t =6 s?
What is the instantaneous angular velocity ω of the point at time t = 9 s?
What is the instantaneous speed v of the point at time t = 9 s?
What is the average angular speed ωav of the point over the time interval starting time t = 6 s and ending at the time t = 9 s?
Through what angular displacement Δθ does the wheel turn during this time?

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the angular position of 135.7 radian at 6 seconds but I do not understand where to go from there. I cannot just use those for angular velocity/acceleration right?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If θ is given, how to find the angular velocity and angular acceleration.
Can you find them by differentiating θ(t)
What is relation between linear velocity and angular velocity?

Sorry, I was just introduced to this and I am super confused.

Angular position of the wheel is given as θ(t) = 4.7 t2 − 7.2 t +9.7
The angular velocity = ω = d[θ(t)] /dt
The angular acceleration = α = d(ω)/dt
linear velocity v = ω*R
linear acceleration = a = Rα

I am able to get the last two questions involving average angular speed and displacement because I can simply plug in the numbers but I don't know how to find the instantaneous values. I know how to find the speed up to that point but not specifically at that instant.

hi, i too have a similar question to that, i was able to get the instantaneous angular velocity but doing derivatives then just plugin in the point, but i don't understand how to get the instantaneous angular acceleration and instantaneous tangential acceleration.

ace99 said:
hi, i too have a similar question to that, i was able to get the instantaneous angular velocity but doing derivatives then just plugin in the point, but i don't understand how to get the instantaneous angular acceleration and instantaneous tangential acceleration.

[tex]Angular acceleration \alpha = \frac{d^{2}\theta}{dt^{2}}[/tex]

Tangential acceleration = Rα.

rl.bhat said:
[tex]Angular acceleration \alpha = \frac{d^{2}\theta}{dt^{2}}[/tex]

Tangential acceleration = Rα.

sorry to be a bother, but i still don't quite understand that formula. is it another derivative?

Instantaneous angular velocity ω = dθ/dt
Instantaneous angular acceleration = α = dω/dt

I am also still confused about that formula. (surprise, surprise)

In he problem θ(t) = 4.7*t^2 - 7.2*t + 9.7
Can you find the derivative of θ with respect to t?

I am still awaiting the derivative lecture in calculus. I expect this is why I am unable to continue in physics.

Sorry. Without the knowledge of derivative you cannot solve this problem.

Thanks for your help, this makes much more sense to me now. I guess I can't do my physics assignment though. haha

If you are very much particular about the physics assignment, why can't you open your maths book and go through basic rules of derivative?
Just one rule is sufficient.
If y = x^2, then dy/dx = 2x.
And if y = x, then dy/dx = 1.

rl.bhat said:
If you are very much particular about the physics assignment, why can't you open your maths book and go through basic rules of derivative?
Just one rule is sufficient.
If y = x^2, then dy/dx = 2x.
And if y = x, then dy/dx = 1.

so what's the rule for d^2y/dx^2?

as in [tex]Angular acceleration \alpha = \frac{d^{2}\theta}{dt^{2}}[/tex]

ace99 said:
so what's the rule for d^2y/dx^2?

as in [tex]Angular acceleration \alpha = \frac{d^{2}\theta}{dt^{2}}[/tex]
If θ = t^2
then dθ/dt = 2t
and d^2(θ)/dt^2 = 2

Related to How Do You Calculate Angular Acceleration and Speed from a Position Function?

1. What is angular kinematics?

Angular kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in rotational motion. It involves the study of angular velocity, angular acceleration, and angular displacement.

2. How is angular kinematics different from linear kinematics?

Angular kinematics deals with the motion of objects in rotational motion, while linear kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line. Angular kinematics also involves the concept of torque and moment of inertia, which are not present in linear kinematics.

3. What are some real-life examples of angular kinematics?

Some real-life examples of angular kinematics include the motion of a spinning top, the rotation of a wheel, the movement of a pendulum, and the motion of a Ferris wheel.

4. How is angular kinematics used in engineering?

Angular kinematics is used in engineering to design and analyze rotational motion systems, such as gears, turbines, and motors. It is also used in the design of mechanical structures, such as bridges and cranes, which involve rotational motion.

5. What are the equations used in angular kinematics?

The three main equations used in angular kinematics are:

• ω = ω0 + αt
  • θ = θ0 + ω0t + ½αt2
  • ω2 = ω02 + 2α(θ - θ0)
Where ω is angular velocity, α is angular acceleration, θ is angular displacement, ω0 is initial angular velocity, θ0 is initial angular displacement, and t is time.