How Do You Calculate a Jet's Average Velocity and Change in Velocity?

In summary: If you choose the origin as the point where the plane begins its constant acceleration phase (ri = 0)then rf= vit + 0.5at2Thus, the average velocity would be:(0.5 * 600 + 0.5 * 450) / 2.5 = 199.3mi/h
popmop2

Homework Statement

A jet is flying at 600 mi/h in a direction of 45 degrees North of West. 2.5 minutes later it is flying at 450 mi/h in a direction of 30 degrees North of East.
a) Sketch a vector diagram labeling Vi, Vf, and ∆V.
b) Calculate the average velocity vector in unit-vector notation.
c) Calculate the magnitude and direction of average velocity

Homework Equations

average velocity = displacement/ time

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know the vector of which the plane going 450mi/h while the first vector is 25miles

Physics news on Phys.org
"I do not know the vector of which the plane going 450mi/h..." Are you saying that you do not know how to draw this?

"...while the first vector is 25 miles" Where does 25 miles come from?

I think you might need some vector fundamentals training. Here is a good resource--
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/vectors/u3l1a.can

There are tons of web sites that could help if this one is not satisfactory

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how to draw it, but I do not know how to solve it.

600mi/h *2.5min = 25miles

popmop2 said:
I know how to draw it, but I do not know how to solve it.
Good, so then you can answer part a). If you can, please attach your drawing.

600mi/h *2.5min = 25miles

Okay, what I meant was "25 miles" is not a vector and even so it is not relevant to any of the questions.

To quickly be able to help you, you need to indicate specifically what it is you are having trouble with. Which of the following are having trouble with (check all that apply)

[ ] average velocity vector definition
[ ] unit vector notation
[ ] determining the magnitude of a vector
[ ] determining the direction of a vector

Last edited:
popmop2 said:
average velocity = displacement/ time
That is correct, so I don't know how you can find the average velocity based on the given data, since the time for the 2nd part of the journey is not stated, and therfore, you cannot calculate the displacement. Did you leave something out of the problem statement?

I was thinking this was solvable if you assume constant acceleration.

lewando said:
I was thinking this was solvable if you assume constant acceleration.
Unless the problem left out some data, it may have been assuming the same thing. But you just can't add up the two velocities and divide by two to get the average velocity unless the plane flies in a straight line with constant acceleration, which is far from the case here, so you need to know or find the total displacement, which cannot be determined with the given info. I guess only the OP knows for sure...the change in velocity is another matter, that is calculable.

PhanthomJay said:
Unless the problem left out some data, it may have been assuming the same thing. But you just can't add up the two velocities and divide by two to get the average velocity unless the plane flies in a straight line with constant acceleration, which is far from the case here, so you need to know or find the total displacement, which cannot be determined with the given info. I guess only the OP knows for sure...the change in velocity is another matter, that is calculable.

Without giving too much away, and if the OP can confirm (or is willing to assume) constant acceleration, consider:

vf = vi+ at
vf - vi= at = Δv

If you choose the origin as the point where the plane begins its constant acceleration phase (ri = 0)

then rf= vit + 0.5at2

Related to How Do You Calculate a Jet's Average Velocity and Change in Velocity?

1. What is the physics behind a jet flying?

The physics behind a jet flying involves principles of aerodynamics, thrust, lift, and drag. The wings of the jet, designed in a curved shape, create lift as air flows over them. The jet's powerful engines provide thrust, which propels the jet forward. To maintain balance, the jet's tail wing creates drag to counteract the lift from the front wings.

2. How does a jet overcome the force of gravity to stay in the air?

A jet stays in the air by utilizing the principle of lift. As the jet moves forward, air flows over its wings, creating a pressure difference between the top and bottom of the wings. This pressure difference generates lift, which is greater than the force of gravity pulling the jet down, allowing it to stay in the air.

3. How does the speed of a jet affect its flight?

The speed of a jet is crucial to its flight. As the jet moves faster, the air flowing over its wings creates more lift, allowing it to fly at higher altitudes. However, as the speed increases, so does the drag, which can limit the jet's speed and efficiency. Pilots must carefully control the speed of a jet to ensure a safe and efficient flight.

4. What role does air density play in a jet's flight?

Air density has a significant impact on a jet's flight. As air density decreases with higher altitudes, the jet needs to increase its speed to maintain lift. This is why jets have higher cruising speeds at higher altitudes. Air density also affects the jet's engine performance, as it needs more air to produce the necessary thrust to maintain flight.

5. How does a jet's weight affect its flight?

A jet's weight is crucial to its flight. The heavier the jet, the more lift it needs to overcome its weight and stay in the air. This is why jets have a maximum takeoff weight limit, and pilots must carefully manage the weight of the aircraft during flight. Additionally, the jet's weight can affect its maneuverability and fuel efficiency, making it a crucial factor in flight planning.