How do you approach learning a new concept?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's preference for visual learning and their struggle to comprehend the concept of a joule second and Plancks constant. The speaker mentions their reliance on mental images to understand complex concepts and questions how one would approach understanding these concepts mathematically. The other person responds by explaining that the picture one gets from Plancks constant is up to individual interpretation, similar to how one would visualize the gravitational constant.
cnidocyte
I think I'm more of a visual learner than the average person because I find books never provide enough pictures so I have to come up with my own mental image to represent the majority of the concepts I come across. An example is right now I'm trying to comprehend the concept of a joule second and why Plancks constant uses that unit but I don't really know what to picture for this. How else would I approach this? Mathematically?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Plancks constant gives the connection between frequency and energy, the picture you get from that is all up to you. How would you visualize the gravitational constant for example??

Related to How do you approach learning a new concept?

1. How do you determine what resources to use when learning a new concept?

When approaching a new concept, it is important to first assess what type of learner you are. Do you learn best through hands-on activities, visual aids, or written materials? Once you determine your learning style, you can then search for resources that cater to that style. You can also ask for recommendations from peers or consult with a teacher or mentor for guidance.

2. How do you break down a complex concept into smaller, more manageable parts?

Breaking down a complex concept can be achieved by first identifying the main components or subtopics within the concept. From there, you can create a hierarchy or outline to organize the information. You can also try using analogies or real-life examples to help make connections and understand the concept better.

3. How do you stay motivated and focused when learning a new concept?

Motivation and focus can be difficult to maintain when learning a new concept, especially if it is challenging or unfamiliar. It is helpful to set specific goals and reward yourself for reaching them. Taking breaks and engaging in activities that you enjoy can also help to keep your mind fresh and motivated. Additionally, finding a study partner or joining a study group can provide accountability and support.

4. How do you know when you have fully understood a new concept?

Understanding a new concept can be subjective, as different people may have varying levels of understanding. However, a good indicator is being able to explain the concept in your own words and apply it to different scenarios. It is also important to ask yourself questions and actively engage with the material to test your understanding.

5. How do you review and reinforce a new concept to ensure long-term retention?

To reinforce a new concept, it is important to review the material regularly, preferably in smaller chunks over a longer period of time. This can include summarizing the information, creating flashcards or study aids, and practicing with different types of questions or problems. Additionally, revisiting the concept in different contexts can help solidify your understanding and improve retention.