How Do You Apply U-Substitution to ∫sin(x^5)dx?

It's amazing how often I forget to do that.oh, it says find the derivative...lol. I just saw the integral sign and began trying to integrate. I didn't even notice that there is a d/dt notation to the right of the integral clear as day. "When all else fails, read (or reread) the instructions." It's amazing how often I forget to do that.Yes, it happens to the best of us. Glad we could help you solve the problem!
LearninDaMath

Homework Statement

Use Part 2 of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to find the derivative.

[tex] \int_3^x sin(t^{5}) \, dt [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the general idea of what I'm supposed to do as far as evaluate the indefinate integral and then do a subtraction of the upper limit and lower limits...but I can't even get to the point of finding the indefinate integral. (maybe it's that I just "think" I know what I'm supposed to do..)

I'm letting u = [itex]t^{5}[/itex]

so du = [itex]5t^{4}[/itex]

then it looks like dt can be replaced by [itex]\frac{1}{5t^{4}}[/itex]

so that [tex] \int_3^x \frac{1}{5t^4} sin(u) \, du [/tex]

However, our professor has instructed that mixing variables within the integral is not allowed because it can't be evaluated.

So how to I do u-substitution on this integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't. Note that the problem says to use the fundamental theorem of calculus. Don't ignore that bit of info.

LearninDaMath said:

Homework Statement

Use Part 2 of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to find the derivative.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the general idea of what I'm supposed to do as far as evaluate the indefinate integral and then do a subtraction of the upper limit and lower limits...but I can't even get to the point of finding the indefinate integral. (maybe it's that I just "think" I know what I'm supposed to do..)
I'm letting u = [itex]t^{5}[/itex]

so du = [itex]5t^{4}[/itex]

then it looks like dt can be replaced by [itex]\frac{1}{5t^{4}}[/itex]

so that [tex] \int_3^x \frac{1}{5t^4} sin(u) \, du [/tex]

However, our professor has instructed that mixing variables within the integral is not allowed because it can't be evaluated.

So how to I do u-substitution on this integral?
What vela said, plus ... you're to find the derivative.

oh, it says find the derivative...lol. I just saw the integral sign and began trying to integrate. I didn't even notice that there is a d/dt notation to the right of the integral clear as day. And so I figured the fundamental theorem being referred to was the property that is actually FTC1. Anyway, Thanks :) sin(x^5) duh. I turned a 30 second problem into a 20 minute headache. Thanks Vela and Sammy.

LearninDaMath said:
oh, it says find the derivative...lol. I just saw the integral sign and began trying to integrate. I didn't even notice that there is a d/dt notation to the right of the integral clear as day. And so I figured the fundamental theorem being referred to was the property that is actually FTC1. Anyway, Thanks :) sin(x^5) duh. I turned a 30 second problem into a 20 minute headache. Thanks Vela and Sammy.
The limits od the integral are 3 and x, so the integral is a function of x, not t.

The derivative of this integral is with respect to x.

I.e.

Find
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\ \left(\ \int_3^x sin(t^{5}) \, dt\ \right)\ .[/itex]​

SammyS said:
The limits od the integral are 3 and x, so the integral is a function of x, not t.

The derivative of this integral is with respect to x.

I.e.

Find
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\ \left(\ \int_3^x sin(t^{5}) \, dt\ \right)\ .[/itex]​

Thanks, I noticed that right after I submitted the post and editted with the correct notation right afterwards.

Is this just [itex] 5x^4 sin(x^{5}) [/itex] ?

zjmarlow said:
Is this just [itex] 5x^4 sin(x^{5}) [/itex] ?
No.

The anti-derivative of [itex] 5x^4 \sin(x^{5}) [/itex] is [itex] -\cos(x^{5}) +C[/itex],

not [itex]\displaystyle \int \sin(x^{5}) dx\ .[/itex]

So this should be [itex] sin(x^{5}) [/itex], correct?

No, it isn't. What is the derivative of sin(u(x)) with respect to x. What is the derivative of cos(u(x)) with respect to x?

cos(u(x)) u'(x) and -sin(u(x)) u'(x).

zjmarlow said:
This result looks correct to me. There is no x under the integral sign. I don't understand what Halls of Ivy is saying.

Chet

zjmarlow said:

If you mean:
Is [itex]\displaystyle
\frac{d}{dx}\ \left(\ \int_3^x sin(t^{5}) \, dt\ \right)=\sin(x^5)\ ?[/itex]​

Then I agree with Chestermiller that, "Yes it is."

Here's how I arrive at that:

Let F(t) be an anti-derivative of sin(t5). In other words, let [itex]\displaystyle F(t)=\int sin(t^{5}) \, dt\ .[/itex]

Then [itex]\displaystyle \int_3^x sin(t^{5}) \, dt=F(x)-F(3)\ .[/itex]

Therefore, [itex]\displaystyle
\frac{d}{dx}\ \left(\ \int_3^x sin(t^{5}) \, dt\ \right)=\frac{d}{dx}\left(F(x)-F(3)\right)=\sin(x^5)-0\ .[/itex]

LearninDaMath said:
oh, it says find the derivative...lol. I just saw the integral sign and began trying to integrate. I didn't even notice that there is a d/dt notation to the right of the integral clear as day.

"When all else fails, read (or reread) the instructions."

Related to How Do You Apply U-Substitution to ∫sin(x^5)dx?

1. What is U substitution and how is it used in integration?

U substitution, also known as the substitution rule, is a method used in integration to simplify integrals by substituting a new variable for the original variable. This allows us to rewrite the integral in terms of the new variable and then use basic integration rules to solve it.

2. Why is U substitution particularly useful for ∫sin(x^5)dx?

U substitution is particularly useful for ∫sin(x^5)dx because the integrand is a composite function, meaning it can be broken down into two parts: the outer function (sin) and the inner function (x^5). Using U substitution, we can substitute u for the inner function, making the integral easier to solve.

3. How do you choose the appropriate u for U substitution?

To choose the appropriate u for U substitution, you must look for a part of the integrand that resembles the derivative of another part. In the case of ∫sin(x^5)dx, we can choose u = x^5 because its derivative, 5x^4, is also present in the integrand.

4. Can U substitution be used for all integrals?

No, U substitution cannot be used for all integrals. It is most commonly used for integrands that contain composite functions, such as trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions. It may not be as effective for integrands with polynomial functions.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using U substitution?

One common mistake to avoid when using U substitution is forgetting to adjust the limits of integration. When substituting u for the original variable, you must also change the limits of integration to be in terms of u. Additionally, it's important to check your work and make sure the final answer is in terms of the original variable, not the substituted variable.