How Do You Apply the Divergence Theorem to a Non-Vector Field?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Divergence Theorem to evaluate a scalar surface integral on a given sphere. There is some confusion about the relevance of the Divergence Theorem and the correct notation for the integral. It is suggested to ask the teacher for clarification.
craig16

Homework Statement

Use the Divergence Theorem to evaluate ∫∫S (8x + 10y + z2)dS where S is the sphere x2 + y2 + z2 = 1.

Homework Equations

∫∫S F dS = ∫∫∫B Div(F) dV

The Attempt at a Solution

I dunno, this isn't a vector field so I don't know how to take the divergence of it so I can integrate..

Physics news on Phys.org
craig16 said:

Homework Statement

Use the Divergence Theorem to evaluate ∫∫S (8x + 10y + z2)dS where S is the sphere x2 + y2 + z2 = 1.

Homework Equations

∫∫S F dS = ∫∫∫B Div(F) dV

The Attempt at a Solution

I dunno, this isn't a vector field so I don't know how to take the divergence of it so I can integrate..

Use the X2 button above the advanced editing box for superscripts. Are you certain you have transcribed the problem correctly?

Yeah, I'm sure.
have you ever seen something like this?

As it is written it is just a scalar surface integral which makes sense and can be evaluated. The reason I asked is your relevant equation: ∫∫S F dS = ∫∫∫B Div(F) dV isn't written correctly; it should be [itex]\iint_S \vec F \cdot d\vec S[/itex] on the left. I just wondered if your original problem was mistranscribed. But, no, your original problem wouldn't have anything to do with the divergence theorem as it is written.

Last edited:
Which is why it makes me curious that they asked me to use the divergence theorem.
lol.. I dunno

craig16 said:
Which is why it makes me curious that they asked me to use the divergence theorem.
lol.. I dunno

I'm curious too. Why don't you ask your teacher and tell us what you find out?

Related to How Do You Apply the Divergence Theorem to a Non-Vector Field?

1. What is divergence in Calculus III?

Divergence is a mathematical concept that measures the amount of a vector field's source or sink at a given point. It is represented by the symbol ∇ · F and is also known as the dot product of the del operator and the vector field F.

2. How is divergence calculated?

To calculate divergence, you first need to find the partial derivatives of each component of the vector field. Then, add these partial derivatives together and take the dot product with the del operator (∇). The resulting value is the divergence of the vector field at that point.

3. What is the physical meaning of divergence?

In physics, divergence represents the amount of a vector quantity (such as force or fluid flow) spreading out or converging at a given point in space. A positive divergence indicates a source, where the vector field is spreading out, while a negative divergence indicates a sink, where the vector field is converging.

4. How is divergence related to curl?

Divergence and curl are both vector calculus operations that describe different aspects of a vector field. Divergence measures the amount of a vector field's source or sink, while curl measures the amount of rotation or circulation of the vector field. In two-dimensional vector fields, the curl of the field is equivalent to the magnitude of rotation and the divergence is equal to zero.

5. In what situations is divergence used in real life?

Divergence has various applications in physics and engineering, such as in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and conservation laws. It is used to analyze fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and the movement of particles in a field. In real life, divergence can help us understand and predict the behavior of systems in the natural world.