How Do You Apply Laplace Transform to Shifted Functions in Calculus?

• Thread starter jhendren
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, a discontinuous forcing term is an external input or disturbance that affects a system in a non-continuous manner. Examples include sudden changes in temperature, pressure, or external forces like wind or gravity. These terms can cause a system to deviate from its normal behavior and can be mathematically modeled to predict their effects. Scientists may incorporate discontinuous forcing terms into their research through experiments or mathematical analysis.
jhendren

Homework Statement

Find Laplace transformation
H(t-1)t^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[2(e^-s)f(t^2)]/s^3

I'm not sure how to get t^2 in terms of t-1

I know the answer is (2+2s+s^2)/s^3

Physics news on Phys.org
Just express ##t^2## as a finite Taylor series about ##t=1##. Alternatively you can use this formula$$
\mathcal L(u(t-a)f(t)) = e^{-as}\mathcal L(f(t+a)$$which would give, in your case$$
\mathcal L(u(t-1)t^2)=e^{-s}\mathcal L((t+1)^2)
= e^{-s}\mathcal L(t^2+2t+1)$$

can you show me the proof on that formula because it is no where in my book

jhendren said:
can you show me the proof on that formula because it is no where in my book

$$\mathcal L(u(t-a)f(t)=\int_a^\infty e^{-st}f(t)dt$$Let ##v = t-a##$$
=\int_0^\infty e^{-s(v+a)}f(v+a)dv =e^{-as}\int_0^\infty e^{-sv}f(v+a)dv
=e^{-as}\mathcal L(f(t+a))$$This formula is handy because, as in your problem, the function f(t) isn't usually given in terms of the argument of the step function.

Related to How Do You Apply Laplace Transform to Shifted Functions in Calculus?

1. What is a discontinuous forcing term?

A discontinuous forcing term is a type of external input or disturbance that affects a system or process in a non-continuous manner. This means that the force or input changes abruptly rather than gradually and can have a significant impact on the behavior of the system.

2. What are some examples of discontinuous forcing terms?

Some examples of discontinuous forcing terms include sudden changes in temperature, pressure, or external forces like wind or gravity. In biological systems, a discontinuous forcing term could be a sudden change in nutrient availability or presence of a predator.

3. How do discontinuous forcing terms affect a system?

Discontinuous forcing terms can cause a system to deviate from its normal behavior and potentially lead to instability or a change in the system's equilibrium state. This can be seen in systems like weather patterns, where sudden changes in external forces can lead to drastic changes in temperature, wind patterns, and precipitation.

4. Can discontinuous forcing terms be modeled mathematically?

Yes, discontinuous forcing terms can be incorporated into mathematical models to predict their effects on a system. This can be done through the use of differential equations and numerical methods to simulate the behavior of the system under varying discontinuous forcing terms.

5. How do scientists account for discontinuous forcing terms in their research?

Scientists may use experimental methods to intentionally introduce discontinuous forcing terms into a system and observe its effects. They may also incorporate these terms into mathematical models or analyze data to identify patterns and potential impacts of discontinuous forcing on a system.