How do we integrate with respect to (dx)^2 (not dx)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between dx^2 and (dx)^2, with one participant suggesting that the latter is a notation for a double integral. However, others argue that this is bad notation and that variables should be kept separate. The conversation also touches on the concept of infinitesimals and their role in integrals, with an example of finding the moment of inertia of a rotating disk using concentric shells.
AakashPandita
[tex] ∫x(dx)^2=?[/tex]

and what is the difference between dx^2 and (dx)^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where's this from? I've seen ##dx^2## but not ##(dx)^2##. The only way I can parse the latter is with wedge products

Last edited:
The integral is zero.
i.e. it has no contribution to the overall sum.

But let's be careful: where have you seen this come up?

Isn't that just short-hand notation for a double integral, i.e.,

[tex]\iint x dx dx[/tex]

jackmell said:
Isn't that just short-hand notation for a double integral, i.e.,

[tex]\iint x dx dx[/tex]

I don't think you are allowed to have the same variable for multiple integrals. A double integral is integrating with respect to the area element.

pwsnafu said:
I don't think you are allowed to have the same variable for multiple integrals. A double integral is integrating with respect to the area element.

Ok, but the reason I suggested this is because I recall in one of my books on integral equations, the author, when converting from IVP to Volterra Equations, use the syntax such as:

[tex]\int_0^x \int_0^x f(t) dt dt=\int_0^x (x-t) f(t)dt[/tex]

however, to be fair, he never used the syntax [itex](dt)^2[/itex] so if I am in error, my apologies.

I was trying to find the moment of inertia of a disk rotating at the axis through its center and perpendicular to it.

i got an integral for some function with (dx)^2 in it.

jackmell said:
Ok, but the reason I suggested this is because I recall in one of my books on integral equations, the author, when converting from IVP to Volterra Equations, use the syntax such as:

[tex]\int_0^x \int_0^x f(t) dt dt=\int_0^x (x-t) f(t)dt[/tex]
I strongly suspect that you have misread
[tex]\int_0^x\int_0^x f(t)d\tau dt[/tex]

however, to be fair, he never used the syntax [itex](dt)^2[/itex] so if I am in error, my apologies.
Neither "[itex]dtdt[/itex]" nor "[itex](dx)^2[/itex]" has any meaning.

HallsofIvy said:
I strongly suspect that you have misread
[tex]\int_0^x\int_0^x f(t)d\tau dt[/tex]

With all due respect Hall, I have not. It's from "A First Course in Integral Equations" by Abdul-Majid Wazwaz. It's on p. 20 and includes also, the expression:

[tex]\int_0^x \int_0^x \int_0^x f(t)dt dt dt=1/2 \int_0^x (x-t)^2 f(t)dt[/tex]

Last edited:
Then it is just bad notation.

jackmell said:
With all due respect Hall, I have not. It's from "A First Course in Integral Equations" by Abdul-Majid Wazwaz. It's on p. 20 and includes also, the expression:

Dear lord, that's awful. I'd read the lhs as
[tex]\int_0^x \int_0^x \int_0^x f(t)dt dt dt
= \int_0^x \int_0^x \left( \int_0^x f(t)dt \right) dt_1 \; dt_2
= \int_0^x \int_0^x H(x) dt_1 \; dt_2
= x^2 H(x)
= x^2 \int_0^x f(t) dt [/tex]

while, what was probably meant is
[tex]
\int_0^x \int_0^{t_2} \int_0^{t_1} f(t) dt \; dt_1 \; dt_2 = \frac{1}{2} \int_0^x (x-t)^2 f(t) dt.
[/tex]

Yikes, that's awful notation.

jackmell said:

That's the Cauchy formula for repeated integration. And you are not allowed to write it as dtdtdt. You must keep the variables separate.
##\int_{a}^x \int_a^{t_1}\ldots \int_a^{t_{n-1}}f(t_n) \, dt_n \, dt_{n-1} \ldots dt_1 = \frac{1}{(n-1)!} \int_a^x (x-t)^{n-1} f(t) \, dt.##

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
pwsnafu said:
That's the Cauchy formula for repeated integration. And you are not allowed to write it as dtdtdt. You must keep the variables separate.
##\int_{a}^x \int_a^{t_1}\ldots \int_a^{t_{n-1}}f(t_n) \, dt_n \, dt_{n-1} \ldots dt_1 = \frac{1}{(n-1)!} \int_a^x (x-t)f(t) \, dt.##

Ok. Thanks! That makes sense to me now. Sorry for causing trouble.

AakashPandita said:
I was trying to find the moment of inertia of a disk rotating at the axis through its center and perpendicular to it.

i got an integral for some function with (dx)^2 in it.

Please show how you derived that.

[tex]I=\int_0^R dmr^2 dm=σπ[(r+dr)^2-r^2][/tex]
and then I put [tex]dm[/tex] in first.

Last edited:
[tex]I=\int_0^R dmr^2 ;dm=σπ[(r+dr)^2-r^2][/tex]

Last edited:
What does ##(r+dr)^2## mean?

Edit: I think it should read ##dm = 2\sigma \pi r \, dr##, which is compatible with what you wrote if we take ##(dr)^2 = 0##.

Was there a textbook or a teacher who said you could square differentials? What made you think ##(r+dr)^2## is well defined?

Last edited:
i tried to find the area of a ring by subtracting the area of smaller circle from larger circle.
The difference in the radii is dr.

area of ring [tex] =π[(r+dr)^2 - r^2][/tex]

AakashPandita said:
[tex]I=\int_0^R dmr^2 dm=σπ[(r+dr)^2-r^2][/tex]
Why do you have "dm" in twice?

This is using the concentric shells approach ... so the volume of the cylindrical shell between ##r## and ##r+dr## is the difference in the volumes of the cylinders:

##\pi h (r+dr)^2 - \pi h r^2## where h is the height of the cylinder.

If you multiply that out, you get ##\pi h (2rdr + dr^2)## ... but ##dr^2 = 0## ... remember that "dr" comes from a limit?

You can think of it like this:
If ##dr## is infinitesimally small, then any large power of it must be even smaller than that.
But "infinitesimal" is the smallest you can get without actually being zero.
Therefore...

[edit]pwnsnafu beat me to it :)The volume of the shell between r and r+dr is much better derived by taking the surface area of the cylinder radius r (excluding the end-caps) and multiplying it by dr. You can work out why this works by sketching it out.

Last edited:

Related to How do we integrate with respect to (dx)^2 (not dx)?

1. What is the purpose of integrating with respect to (dx)^2?

Integrating with respect to (dx)^2 is useful in solving differential equations that involve higher-order derivatives. It allows us to find the general solution to the differential equation and identify any constants of integration.

2. How is integrating with respect to (dx)^2 different from integrating with respect to dx?

Integrating with respect to (dx)^2 involves taking the integral of the square of the differential (dx)^2, while integrating with respect to dx involves taking the integral of the differential dx. The former is typically used when solving differential equations with higher-order derivatives, while the latter is used for simpler integrals.

3. What is the process for integrating with respect to (dx)^2?

The process for integrating with respect to (dx)^2 is similar to regular integration. First, we use the appropriate integration techniques (such as substitution or integration by parts) to simplify the integrand. Then, we integrate the resulting expression with respect to (dx)^2, treating it as a constant. Finally, we add any necessary constants of integration.

4. Can integrating with respect to (dx)^2 be applied to any type of differential equation?

No, integrating with respect to (dx)^2 is typically only used for differential equations that involve higher-order derivatives. For simpler differential equations, integrating with respect to dx is usually sufficient.

5. Are there any specific applications of integrating with respect to (dx)^2 in science?

Integrating with respect to (dx)^2 has various applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of vibrations and oscillations. It is also commonly used in the field of fluid dynamics to solve differential equations that model the motion of fluids.