How Do Transmission Coefficients Affect Pressure and Intensity at Interfaces?

In summary, we used the equations for pressure and intensity transmission coefficients to find the change in pressure and intensity levels in both media, and determined that they are equal to the transmission coefficients T and Ti, respectively.
roldy

Homework Statement

(a) A plan wave is in seawater is normally incident on the water-air interface. Find the pressure and intensity transmission coefficients.

(b) Repeat (a) for a wave in air normally incident on the air-water interface.

(c) For (a) and (b) find the change in pressure and intensity levels if Pref and Iref are the same in both media.

Homework Equations

[tex]
SIL=10*log \frac{I}{Iref}
[/tex]
[tex]
PSL=20*log \frac{P}{Pref}
[/tex]

Pressure Transmission Coefficient
[tex]
T=\frac{P_t}{P_i}=\frac{2r_2}{r_2+r_1}
[/tex]

Intensity Transmission Coefficients
[tex]
T_i=\frac{I_t}{I_i}=\frac{r_1}{r_2}|T|^2
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for parts (a) and (b) already
with
[tex]r_1=1.54*10^{-4}[/tex]
[tex]r_2=429[/tex]

(a) [tex]T=5.57*10^{-4}[/tex]
[tex]T_i=1.111*10^{-3}[/tex]

(b) [tex]T=2[/tex]
[tex]T_i=1.113*10^{-3}[/tex]

Part (c) I'm confused on. I'm assuming I need to use the equations for PSL and SIL since the question is asking for pressure and intensity levels but I am unsure as to how.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please guide me through this?

Sure, let's work through this together. First, let's define our variables:

Pref = reference pressure (same in both media)
Iref = reference intensity (same in both media)
Pt = transmitted pressure
Pi = incident pressure
It = transmitted intensity
Ii = incident intensity

Now, let's rewrite the equations for pressure and intensity transmission coefficients, using our defined variables:

T = Pt / Pi
Ti = It / Ii

Next, let's use the equations for PSL and SIL to find the change in pressure and intensity levels:

PSL = 20*log(P/Pref)
SIL = 10*log(I/Iref)

We can rearrange these equations to solve for P and I:

P = Pref * 10^(PSL/20)
I = Iref * 10^(SIL/10)

Now, let's plug in our values for T and Ti into these equations:

For part (a):
P = Pref * 10^(20*log(T)/20)
= Pref * 10^log(T)
= Pref * T

I = Iref * 10^(10*log(Ti)/10)
= Iref * 10^log(Ti)
= Iref * Ti

For part (b):
P = Pref * 10^(20*log(T)/20)
= Pref * 10^log(T)
= Pref * T

I = Iref * 10^(10*log(Ti)/10)
= Iref * 10^log(Ti)
= Iref * Ti

We can see that the change in pressure and intensity levels is the same in both media, since they are both multiplied by the same transmission coefficient. Therefore, the change in pressure and intensity levels is equal to T and Ti, respectively.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Do Transmission Coefficients Affect Pressure and Intensity at Interfaces?

What is Normal Incident Plan Wave?

Normal Incident Plan Wave is a term used in optics to describe a type of light wave that is perpendicular, or normal, to the surface it is incident upon. This means that it travels directly towards the surface at a 90 degree angle.

How is Normal Incident Plan Wave different from other types of light waves?

Normal Incident Plan Wave differs from other types of light waves, such as oblique incident waves, in that it travels directly towards the surface it is incident upon. Other types of waves may approach the surface at an angle.

What is the significance of Normal Incident Plan Wave in optics?

Normal Incident Plan Wave is significant in optics because it allows for precise calculations and measurements to be made. Due to its perpendicular nature, it is easier to calculate the angle of reflection and refraction for this type of wave.

Can Normal Incident Plan Wave be used in practical applications?

Yes, Normal Incident Plan Wave is commonly used in practical applications such as optical instruments and devices. It is also used in experiments and research in optics to study the behavior of light waves.

Is Normal Incident Plan Wave affected by the properties of the surface it is incident upon?

Yes, Normal Incident Plan Wave can be affected by the properties of the surface it is incident upon, such as its refractive index. This can cause changes in the angle of reflection and refraction, which can be utilized in certain applications.