Electromagnetic boundary conditions for a 'current' interface

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of the electromagnetic interaction of a layer of particles in air when illuminated by an electromagnetic wave. The analysis involves considering the layer of particles as an interface with surface current and finding the reflection and transmission coefficients of a plane wave from such an interface. The source of the current is the polarization of the particles by the illuminating wave. The orientation of the current depends on the polarization of the EM wave and can be different for 's' and 'p' polarizations. The conversation also addresses a problem that occurs when applying the boundary conditions for a TM wave with anisotropic polarizability. Possible solutions such as using more complex boundary conditions or numerical methods are suggested. Overall, the conversation highlights
Karthiksrao
Hello,

I am at present analyzing the electromagnetic interaction of a layer of paritcles in air when illuminated by an electromagnetic wave.

This can be done by considering the layer of particles as an interface with surface current (as opposed to a 'normal' interface with Fresnel coefficients) and finding the reflection and transmission coefficients of a plane wave from such an interface.

The source of the current is the polarization of the particles by the illuminating wave.
So the current is proportional to: [itex] \vec{J} \propto \omega\rho \overset{\leftrightarrow}{\alpha}. \vec{E} [/itex] where, [itex] \rho [/itex] is the density of paticles and [itex] \alpha [/itex] is the polarizability of the particles (which is a tensor) and [itex] \vec{E} [/itex] is the total field (incident + reflected).

The orientation of the current would depend on the polarization of the EM wave. For 's' polarization with the direction of electric field, say, only along 'y' axis, the orientation of the current will also be only along 'y' axis. For 'p' polarization the current will be in the x-z plane but different from the orientation of the electric field ( which will also be in the x-z plane) due to the effect of the polarizability tensor. I'll first explain the case of 's' polarization where I am not having any problems applying the boundary conditions and then come to the 'p' polarization.

[I have attached a file with the same explanation of the problem but with figures regarding the orientation of the fields]

When I apply the boundary conditions for such an interface for an impinging 's' polarized wave; I easily get the reflection and transmission coefficients. Considering that the tangential electric field should be the same on both the sides I get:
[tex] E_{i} + E_{r} = E_{t} [/tex]
and for the magnetic field, applying the circulation law for a tiny loop at the interface, I get:
[tex] ( H_{i} \cos \theta_i - H_{r} \cos \theta_r) - H_t \cos \theta_t = J [/tex]
where the subscripts, i, r and t denote the incident reflected and transmitted waves.
For air on both sides of the particles, we have [itex] \cos \theta_i = \cos \theta_r =\cos \theta_t = \dfrac{k_{z}}{k_0} [/itex] with [itex] k_z [/itex] being the z-component of [itex] k_0 [/itex]

From these two equations and considering that [itex] E/H = \mu_0 c_0 [/itex] and that the incident wave has unit amplitude at the interface we can get the reflection coefficient [tex] R = E_r/ E_i = \frac{-J \omega \mu_0}{2 k_z} [/tex]

and similarly I can get the transmission coefficient too. These have been verified to satisfy the energy conservation statement as well :
[itex] S_{1z} - S_{2z} = -\vec{J}. \vec{E} [/itex] with [itex] S_1 [/itex] and [itex] S_2 [/itex] being the Poynting vector on either side of the interface .

-------------------------------------------------------------

The problem occurs when I try to do a similar analysis for a TM wave for a particular case of polarizability. Consider the case when we have polarizability such that even when the electric field is in the x-z plane; the current has only a component along z-axis.

If I try to apply the boundary conditions for such an interface when a TM plane wave of unit amplitude impinges on it, I get for the magnetic field:

[tex] H_i + H_r = H_t [/tex]

For the electric field, instead of applying the continuity of tangential fields (which doesn't help too)
I apply the Gauss's law:

[tex] E_{tz} - (E_{iz} + E_{rz}) = \sigma/\epsilon_0 [/tex] with [itex] \sigma [/itex] being the surface charge density.
Dividing by [itex] E_i [/itex] ; expressing the magnetic fields in terms of the electric fields and since we have air on both sides we get the following two equations:

[tex] \frac{k_\rho}{k_0} \big[ (1 + R) - T \big] = - \sigma/\epsilon_0 [/tex]
[tex] (1 + R) - T = 0 [/tex]
with [itex] k_\rho [/itex] being the inplane wave vector.

As you can see these two equations are not solvable! I have not been able to understand what is going wrong and why we can apply the boundary conditions to find the reflection and transmission coefficients for such a simple problem!

Could it be that these boundary conditions do not take into account the anisotropic behavior ? How will I be able to overcome it in such a case?

Any thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• BoundaryConditions_CurrentInterface.pdf
    459.9 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for sharing your work and thoughts on this interesting problem!

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your analysis and thoughts on this problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concept of surface currents and polarizability in this system. Based on your description, it seems like the issue may lie in the boundary conditions you are applying for the TM wave case. It is possible that these boundary conditions do not take into account the anisotropic behavior of the particles and their interaction with the electromagnetic wave.

To overcome this, you may need to consider more complex boundary conditions that can account for the anisotropy. This could involve incorporating the anisotropic polarizability tensor into the boundary conditions or using a different set of equations altogether. You may also want to consider the effects of multiple scattering events and their contribution to the overall behavior of the system.

Another approach could be to use numerical methods, such as finite element analysis, to solve for the reflection and transmission coefficients in this anisotropic system. This would allow you to incorporate the anisotropy and other complex factors into your analysis.

Overall, it seems like this is a challenging problem that may require a more in-depth analysis and possibly more advanced techniques to fully understand and solve. I suggest continuing to explore different approaches and seeking input from other experts in the field to help guide your analysis. Good luck with your research!

Related to Electromagnetic boundary conditions for a 'current' interface

1. What are electromagnetic boundary conditions?

Electromagnetic boundary conditions are a set of mathematical equations that describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields at the interface between two different materials or media. They dictate how the electric and magnetic fields behave at the boundary and are essential for understanding and designing electromagnetic systems.

2. What is a 'current' interface in electromagnetic boundary conditions?

A 'current' interface is a boundary between two materials or media where there is an electric current flowing. This can occur in a variety of scenarios, such as in conductors, inductors, or when electromagnetic waves encounter a material with a different conductivity.

3. How are electromagnetic boundary conditions applied in real-world situations?

Electromagnetic boundary conditions are used in a wide range of applications, including circuit design, antenna design, and electromagnetic compatibility testing. They are also essential in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves in materials and structures, such as in medical imaging or radar systems.

4. What are the two types of electromagnetic boundary conditions?

The two types of electromagnetic boundary conditions are the electric boundary conditions and the magnetic boundary conditions. The electric boundary conditions describe the behavior of the electric field at the interface, while the magnetic boundary conditions describe the behavior of the magnetic field.

5. Are there any limitations to electromagnetic boundary conditions?

While electromagnetic boundary conditions are essential for understanding and designing electromagnetic systems, they are based on idealized assumptions and may not accurately describe real-world scenarios. Additionally, they may not be applicable in extreme situations, such as at very high frequencies or in highly nonlinear materials.