How do the magnetic fields of a magnet and a wire interact?

In summary, the conversation discusses the interaction between a rod and a magnet, where the rod exerts an upwards magnetic force on the magnet and the electrons in the rod also exert a downwards force on the magnet. The total force acting on the mass balance is the sum of the gravitational force and the force due to the magnetic field produced by the current in the rod. The conversation also mentions using Newton's third law to describe the equal and opposite forces between the rod and the magnet. The discussion also includes a question about the interaction between the magnetic fields of the rod and the magnet.
LotusTK
magnets_zpsjnl7smkn.png

Im not too sure about the (ii) part of this question. The mark scheme is very poor too and gives very little information (which is always the bloody case with A level mark schemes).

I don't know what i can say about how the two fields interact.

Can someone tell me what i am missing in my answer below? What bits are correct and what bits are wrong?

The rod exerts a magnetic force upwards on the rod, since there is moving charge in the form of electrons passing through the rod, and these electrons are pushed upwards by the magnetic field and cause the rod to feel an upwards force as a result. The electrons exert an equal and opposite force down on the magnet, adding to the force on the electronic balance, hence increasing the reading.

The total force acting on the mass balance is: mg + BIL

Physics news on Phys.org
That's about right. You didn't need to mention electrons as the charge carriers for the current, simply mentioning that the current though the rod produces a magnetic field that interacts with the field of the magnet should be sufficient. The rod being held in place by clamps prevents the magnet from expelling the rod, so the force will remain so long as the current flows.

Which of Newton's laws might you use to describe the fact that the rod's field pushes the magnet down with the same force that the magnet's field pushes the rod upwards?

gneill said:
That's about right. You didn't need to mention electrons as the charge carriers for the current, simply mentioning that the current though the rod produces a magnetic field that interacts with the field of the magnet should be sufficient. The rod being held in place by clamps prevents the magnet from expelling the rod, so the force will remain so long as the current flows.

Which of Newton's laws might you use to describe the fact that the rod's field pushes the magnet down with the same force that the magnet's field pushes the rod upwards?

Thanks for the reply

I was mentioning the electrons since they are the actual physical things that feel the force due to the magnets magnetic field.

Im not too sure how the field of the magnet and the field produced by the current interact, would they create a "resultant" field or something?

The equal and opposite part of my answer was the reference to the 3rd law, but i should really identify it as a 3rd law pair to be as specific as possible

LotusTK said:
Im not too sure how the field of the magnet and the field produced by the current interact, would they create a "resultant" field or something?
Yes, the fields will sum.

Related to How do the magnetic fields of a magnet and a wire interact?

1. What is the concept of magnet and wire interaction?

The concept of magnet and wire interaction is based on the principle that a moving magnet can induce an electric current in a stationary wire, and vice versa. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for how generators and motors work.

2. How does a magnet interact with a wire?

A magnet interacts with a wire by creating a magnetic field around it. When the magnet moves or changes its orientation, it causes the magnetic field to change as well, which in turn induces an electric current in the wire. This current can then be used to power electrical devices.

3. What is the relationship between the strength of a magnet and its interaction with a wire?

The strength of a magnet directly affects its interaction with a wire. A stronger magnet will produce a stronger magnetic field, which will induce a greater current in the wire. Similarly, a weaker magnet will produce a weaker field and induce a smaller current.

4. Can a non-magnetic material interact with a wire in the same way as a magnet?

No, a non-magnetic material cannot interact with a wire in the same way as a magnet. Only materials with magnetic properties, such as iron or nickel, can produce a magnetic field that can induce an electric current in a wire.

5. What are the practical applications of magnet and wire interaction?

The practical applications of magnet and wire interaction are numerous. It is used in generators and motors to produce electricity, in transformers to change the voltage of an electric current, and in a variety of sensors and devices, such as compasses and MRI machines.