How can adiabatic pressure variations be used to determine specific heat ratio?

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for measuring the specific heat ratio of a gas in a confined piston-cylinder system. The oscillations of the piston are adiabatic and slow enough to maintain internal equilibrium. The formula for the specific heat ratio, ##\gamma##, is given in terms of several variables such as mass, gravity, and frequency. Both solutions presented in the conversation are essentially the same.
PhizKid
1. Homework Statement

The following describes a method used to measure the specific heat ratio ##\gamma = c_p/c_V## of a gas. The gas, assumed ideal, is confined within a vertical cylindrical container and supports a freely moving piston of mass ##m##. The piston and cylinder both have the same cross-sectional area ##A##. Atmospheric pressure is ##p_0##, and when the piston is in equilibrium under the influence of gravity (acceleration ##g##) and the gas pressure, the volume of the gas is ##V_0##. The piston is now displaced slightly from its equilibrium position and is found to oscillate about this position with frequency ##\nu##. The oscillations of the piston are slow enough that the gas always remains in internal equilibrium, but fast enough that the gas cannot exchange heat with the outside. The variations in gas pressure and volume are thus adiabatic. Express ##\gamma## in terms of ##m, g, A, p_0, V_0##, and ##\nu##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Denote by ##p## the pressure exerted by the gas and by ##V## the volume below the piston. The gas undergoes a quasi-static adiabatic change so at any given instant during the piston's oscillation the relation ##p V^{\gamma} = \text{const.}## holds so this then implies that ##(p(0) + \delta p)(V_0 + \delta V)^{\gamma} = p(0) V^{\gamma}_0## i.e. ##(p(0) + \delta p)(1 + \delta V/V_0)^{\gamma} = p(0)##. Now the oscillations about mechanical equilibrium are small so at any given instant during the oscillation, ##\delta V \ll V_0, \delta p \ll p(0)## hence [tex](p(0) + \delta p)(1 + \delta V/V_0)^{\gamma} \\= (p(0) + \delta p)(1 + \gamma \delta V/V_0 + O((\delta V/V_0)^2) ) \\= p(0) + \delta p + \gamma p(0) \delta V/V_0 + O((\delta V/V_0)^2) = p(0)[/tex] therefore [tex]\gamma = -\frac{V_0}{p(0)}\frac{\delta p}{\delta V} \\= -\frac{V_0}{p(0)A}\frac{\delta (pA)}{\delta (A y)} \\= -\frac{V_0}{(mgA + p_0 A^2)}\frac{\delta F}{\delta y} [/tex] where ##F## is the force exerted by the gas on the piston at any given instant during the oscillation, so that ##\delta F = F - F(0)##, and ##\delta y## is the displacement from the equilibrium position at that given instant. We also have that ##F - p_0 A - mg = F_{\text{piston}} = -k \delta y = -\omega^2 m \delta y## where I have used the fact that the piston undergoes simple harmonic motion (there is no damping since the gas loses no heat during the oscillations). Then ##\delta F = (-\omega^2 m\delta y + p_0A + mg) - (p_0 A + mg) = -\omega^2 m \delta y## so ##\gamma = \frac{\omega^2 m V_0}{(mgA + p_0 A^2)} = \frac{4\pi^2 \nu^2 m V_0}{(mgA + p_0 A^2)}## where I have used the fact that ##\omega = 2\pi \nu## for the angular frequency. This is what the book lists as the correct expression for ##\gamma## but I just wanted to make sure my solution was valid, particularly the steps taken within this very paragraph. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I wasn't able to follow the details of what you did, but here is how I would do it.

Force Balance on Piston:

[tex](p-p_0)A-mg=ma=\frac{m}{A}\frac{d^2V}{dt^2}[/tex]
or
[tex](\frac{k}{V^{γ}}-p_0)A-mg=\frac{m}{A}\frac{d^2V}{dt^2}[/tex]

Initially,
[tex](\frac{k}{V_0^{γ}}-p_0)A-mg=0[/tex]

If we subtract the initial condition from the force balance we obtain:

[tex]k(\frac{1}{V^{γ}}-\frac{1}{V_0^{γ}})A=\frac{m}{A}\frac{d^2V}{dt^2}[/tex]
If we write V = V0+V', and linearize with respect to V', we obtain:
[tex]-\frac{kγ}{V_0^{{γ+1}}}AV'=\frac{m}{A}\frac{d^2V'}{dt^2}[/tex]
From the initial condition:
[tex]\frac{k}{V_0^{γ}}=\frac{p_0A+mg}{A}[/tex]
So,
[tex]-\frac{γ(p_0A+mg)}{V_0}V'=\frac{m}{A}\frac{d^2V'}{dt^2}[/tex]
So:
[tex]ω^2=\frac{γ(p_0A+mg)A}{mV_0}[/tex]

Chet

Likes 1 person
Thanks, but I wanted to know if my solution was correct. I didn't want someone to just tell me their own solution.

PhizKid said:
Thanks, but I wanted to know if my solution was correct. I didn't want someone to just tell me their own solution.
Yes. Our solutions match. I thought you might find it interesting to see it done a different way.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Thank you! I see now that our solutions are, apart from a few notational differences and steps, basically the same. Is that what you meant when you said that our solutions matched?

PhizKid said:
Thank you! I see now that our solutions are, apart from a few notational differences and steps, basically the same. Is that what you meant when you said that our solutions matched?
Yes.

Likes 1 person

Related to How can adiabatic pressure variations be used to determine specific heat ratio?

1. What is adiabatic pressure variation?

Adiabatic pressure variation refers to changes in pressure that occur in a system without any heat exchange with the surroundings. This means that the system is thermally insulated and no energy is transferred in the form of heat.

2. What causes adiabatic pressure variations?

Adiabatic pressure variations are caused by changes in volume and temperature within a system. When volume decreases, the pressure increases and vice versa. This is due to the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is directly proportional to temperature and inversely proportional to volume.

3. How is adiabatic pressure variation different from isothermal pressure variation?

Adiabatic pressure variation occurs in a system where there is no heat exchange, while isothermal pressure variation occurs when the temperature remains constant. In adiabatic processes, the pressure changes due to changes in volume, while in isothermal processes, the pressure changes due to changes in temperature.

4. What is the relationship between adiabatic pressure variation and work?

In an adiabatic process, the change in pressure is related to the work done by the system. When the pressure increases, the system does work on the surroundings, and when the pressure decreases, work is done on the system. This relationship is described by the first law of thermodynamics.

5. How is adiabatic pressure variation used in practical applications?

Adiabatic pressure variation is used in various practical applications, such as in engines and compressors. In engines, adiabatic compression of air and fuel mixture leads to an increase in temperature and pressure, which is then used to produce mechanical work. In compressors, adiabatic compression is used to increase the pressure of gases for storage or transportation.