How Do Neutron Stars Create Pulsars?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of supernovas and the formation of neutron stars. It also mentions pulsars, which are rotating neutron stars that emit electromagnetic waves. The conversation then moves on to a calculation involving a neutron star with a mass equal to the sun, a radius of 13 km, and a rotation period of 1.2 s. The question is then clarified as finding the radius of a satellite in a geosynchronous orbit around the neutron star. Ultimately, the problem is solved using a different formula.
cadillac

Homework Statement

Mostly a bunch of extraneous information, so feel free to skim:

Large stars can explode as they finish burning their nuclear fuel, causing a "supernova". The explosion blows away the outer layers of the star. According to Newton's third law, the forces that push the outer layers away have reaction forces that are inwardly directed on the core of the star. These forces compress the core and can cause the core to undergo a "gravitational collapse". The gravitational forces keep pulling all the matter together tighter and tighter, crushing atoms out of existence. Under these extreme conditions, the protons and electrons can be squeezed together to form a neutron. If the collapse is halted when the neutrons all come into contact with each other, the result is an object called a neutron star, an entire star consisting of solid nuclear matter. Many neutron stars rotate about their axis with a period of 1 s and, as they do so, send out a pulse of electromagnetic waves once a second. These stars were discovered in the 1960s and are called pulsars.
Consider a neutron star with a mass equal to the sun, a radius of 13 km, and a rotation period of 1.2 s.

2. Homework Equations /Attempt at solution

I'm not sure, but I used T^2 = (4pi^2/GM)r^3. G = 6.67e-11, M of sun = 1.98892e30... Perhaps I'm not putting the right value for T? I've tried 365x24x60x60 since it was geosynchronous...

Here is other information I calculated that might help:
Speed of a point on equator of star: 68067.84 s
g on surface of neutron star: 7.8497611e11

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you trying to find? You never really say.

Oh, sorry. The question was: what is the radius of a satellite around the neutron star with and geosynchronous orbit.

UPDATE: I've figured it out. All I had to do was use a different formula.

Thanks for help though.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a force that exists between all objects with mass. It is responsible for the attraction between objects and is what keeps planets in orbit around the sun.

2. How does gravity affect orbits?

Gravity is the force that keeps objects in orbit around a larger body. The gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that the larger the mass of the object, the stronger the gravitational force, and the closer the objects are, the stronger the gravitational force.

3. What is the difference between weightlessness and zero gravity?

Weightlessness is often used to describe the feeling of being in a state of freefall, where you are falling towards an object but do not feel the weight of your body. Zero gravity, on the other hand, refers to the absence of gravity in a specific location, such as in outer space.

4. How do satellites stay in orbit?

Satellites stay in orbit by balancing the force of gravity pulling them towards the center of the Earth with their forward motion. As long as the satellite maintains a fast enough speed and is at the right distance from the Earth, it will continue to orbit in a stable path.

5. Can gravity be turned off?

No, gravity cannot be turned off. It is a fundamental force of nature that is always present and cannot be artificially created or destroyed. However, its effects can be counteracted through other forces, such as the centrifugal force experienced by astronauts in orbit.