How Do Lorentz Transformations Affect Measurements of Time and Distance?

In summary: I suggest you start by verifying that your result for part (a) is correct.In summary, the events A and B are 18 km apart in frame F and are timed to be separated by 0.80 microseconds in frame F'. Using the equations γ = 1/sqrt(1 - (u/c)^2), Δx' = γ(Δx - uΔt), and Δt' = γ(Δt - uΔx)/(c^2), the speed of the spaceships can be calculated to be c/75 or 4*10^6 m/s. However, the calculated distance between the events in frame F' appears to be incorrect and should be smaller than
Frillth

Homework Statement

Events A and B are simultaneous in frame F and are 18 km apart on a line that defines the x-axis. A series of spaceships all pass at the same speed in the + x-direction, and they have synchronized their clocks so that together they make up a moving frame F'. They time events A and B to be separated by 0.80 microseconds. What is the speed of the spaceships? How far apart in space do they measure the two events to be?

Homework Equations

γ = 1/sqrt(1 - (u/c)^2)

(1) Δx' = γ(Δx - uΔt)
(2) Δt' = γ(Δt - uΔx)/(c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

a. To get the speed, I used Δt = 0, Δt' = 8*10^-7 s, and Δx = 18000m. I plugged these into equation 2 and did a little bit of algebra to get:
Δt' = 4*10^6 m/s = c/75

b. To get the distance, I used Δx = 18000m, Δt = 0, and u = c/75, which I plugged into equation 1. When I did this, I got:
Δx' = 18001.6m

My answer to part a seems plausible, but my answer to part b just looks wrong to me. It seems like Δx' should not be so close to Δx. Are my solutions correct? If not, where did I mess up?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Frillth said:

Homework Statement

Events A and B are simultaneous in frame F and are 18 km apart on a line that defines the x-axis. A series of spaceships all pass at the same speed in the + x-direction, and they have synchronized their clocks so that together they make up a moving frame F'. They time events A and B to be separated by 0.80 microseconds. What is the speed of the spaceships? How far apart in space do they measure the two events to be?

Homework Equations

γ = 1/sqrt(1 - (u/c)^2)

(1) Δx' = γ(Δx - uΔt)
(2) Δt' = γ(Δt - uΔx)/(c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

a. To get the speed, I used Δt = 0, Δt' = 8*10^-7 s, and Δx = 18000m. I plugged these into equation 2 and did a little bit of algebra to get:
Δt' = 4*10^6 m/s = c/75

b. To get the distance, I used Δx = 18000m, Δt = 0, and u = c/75, which I plugged into equation 1. When I did this, I got:
Δx' = 18001.6m

I haven't checked all your calculations, but this number looks wrong to me. The length measured in frame F is the proper length, and length measurements in the other frames should be smaller.

Your solutions for part a and b are correct. The Lorentz transformations are used to calculate how space and time measurements change between two frames of reference that are in relative motion. In this case, the spaceships are moving at a high speed compared to frame F, which causes a significant difference in the measurement of space and time between the two frames. This is why the distance between events A and B, measured in frame F', is slightly longer than the distance measured in frame F. It may seem counterintuitive, but this is a fundamental concept in special relativity. Your answer for the speed of the spaceships is also correct, and it is important to note that it is relative to frame F, not frame F'. Great job on your solution!

Related to How Do Lorentz Transformations Affect Measurements of Time and Distance?

1. What are Lorentz Transformations?

Lorentz Transformations are a set of equations used in the theory of special relativity to describe the relationship between space and time for objects moving at constant velocities.

2. Why are Lorentz Transformations important?

Lorentz Transformations are important because they help us understand how space and time are affected by the relative motion of objects. They are a fundamental aspect of special relativity and have been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations.

3. How do Lorentz Transformations differ from Galilean Transformations?

Lorentz Transformations differ from Galilean Transformations in that they take into account the effects of special relativity, specifically the constancy of the speed of light. Galilean Transformations are based on classical mechanics and do not account for the effects of relativity.

4. What is the Lorentz Factor?

The Lorentz Factor, denoted by the symbol γ (gamma), is a term used in Lorentz Transformations to describe the amount of time dilation, length contraction, and mass increase that occurs at high velocities. It is calculated as 1/√(1 - v²/c²), where v is the velocity of the object and c is the speed of light.

5. How are Lorentz Transformations used in practical applications?

Lorentz Transformations are used in various practical applications, such as in GPS systems, particle accelerators, and in the design of high-speed transportation systems. They are also important in understanding the behavior of objects at extreme velocities, such as near the speed of light.