How do light's magnetic fields work?

In summary, ehild says that the magnetic field lines around a current-carrying wire are like flattened ellipses. They are not rings but more like flattened ellipses. They are horizontally time-based, so these are not loops in space like magnetic field line loops.
personpersonp

Homework Statement

This is just a conceptual question that I've been personally wondering about. So light has a magnetic field wave perpendicular to an electric field wave. I don't quite understand the magnetic field wave though.

I thought that magnetic fields were not supposed to have a beginning or end. They continuously travel in a loop from north pole to south pole. How then does light's magnetic fields work? Where are the north and south poles and where are the loops? How is it that the diagrams just depict linear magnetic field vectors?

Diagram example: http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...=195&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0,i:164

I have googled this to a great extent but have not been able to find an answer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the reply ehild.

I know that the light wave is self propagating with its changes in electric flux and magnetic flux.

My question, however, is that in an EM wave are the magnetic field lines also something like concentric circles like that of around a current carrying wire? Or are they really just straight lines pointing in one direction?

personpersonp said:
Thanks for the reply ehild.

I know that the light wave is self propagating with its changes in electric flux and magnetic flux.

My question, however, is that in an EM wave are the magnetic field lines also something like concentric circles like that of around a current carrying wire? Or are they really just straight lines pointing in one direction?

The are like concentric circles around the changing electric field lines, which are circles around the magnetic field lines.

ehild

Attachments

• emwaves.JPG
    emwaves.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 424
They are not rings but more like flattened ellipses.

horizontally is time, so these aren't loops in space like magnetic field line loops.

horizontally is time, so these aren't loops in space like magnetic field line loops.

BTW i only did the one post, are multiple repeat postings a common bug on PF?

(as you can see the system knows they are both my third post, but has them logged at different times!)

it happens sometimes! :smile:

i think it's when you click "Submit Reply" but nothing happens, so you click again :wink:

Related to How do light's magnetic fields work?

1. What are light's magnetic fields?

Light's magnetic fields are electric and magnetic fields that oscillate perpendicular to each other and to the direction of the light's propagation. These fields are responsible for the propagation and behavior of light.

2. How do light's magnetic fields interact with matter?

Light's magnetic fields interact with matter in several ways. They can induce electric currents, exert forces on charged particles, and cause the alignment or rotation of molecules. These interactions determine how light is absorbed, reflected, or transmitted by different materials.

3. Can light's magnetic fields be detected?

Yes, light's magnetic fields can be detected using specialized equipment such as polarizers, interferometers, and spectrometers. These instruments can measure the intensity and polarization of light, which are influenced by its magnetic fields.

4. How do light's magnetic fields affect the speed of light?

The speed of light in a vacuum is constant and is not affected by light's magnetic fields. However, in a medium such as air or water, the speed of light can be slightly slower due to interactions with the medium's particles, including its magnetic fields.

5. Are light's magnetic fields important in everyday life?

Yes, light's magnetic fields play a crucial role in many everyday technologies, including electricity and magnetism, electronics, telecommunications, and optics. They also have important applications in medical imaging, solar energy, and materials science.