Working with magnetism, solenoid

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of replacing a bar magnet with a stronger one on the size of the induced EMF in a loop of wire, with reference to Faraday's Law. The conclusion is that there will be no effect on the induced EMF as there is no relative movement between the magnet and the loop, and therefore no change in magnetic flux.
Sox281212

Homework Statement

A bar magnet is held stationary (with respect to the loop of wire) at the centre of the loop with the North pole sticking out one end and the South pole sticking out the other. What happens to the size of any EMF induced in the loop once the magnet has been replaced by a magnet of twice the strength (i.e. you do the same thing, hold a stronger magnet stationary in the same position)? Explain your answer, with reference to Faraday's Law

Homework Equations

Faradays Law

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so this is what I've gathered from TRYING to research online (i literally learned nothing in class)

When the current is running through the solenoid in one direction, and the north part of the magnet is inserted towards the middle of the solenoid, the current would change directions... but how does this relate to emf? and what would increasing the magnet strength even do... would it make a stronger magnetic field? I have no clue...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sox281212, http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

What does Faraday's Law say about the situations described here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you :)

Umm well EMF is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux? :S

If I read this correctly, the situations they are comparing here both involve there being no relative movement. Is that your understanding?

Yep! Was just wondering, while waiting for your reply I was looking up some stuff; would doubling the magnetic strength also double the EMF? -just a thought haha..

A stronger magnet could be expected to induce a greater voltage as a generalization. But for the case in question, two times zero is still zero.

Oh okay... So.. There's No effect? :/

No relative movement means there is no induced emf.

Related to Working with magnetism, solenoid

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it.

2. How does a solenoid work?

When an electric current is applied to a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field is created by the movement of electrons through the wire, which creates a force that acts on the surrounding magnetic field.

3. What are some practical applications of solenoids?

Solenoids are used in a variety of everyday objects, such as door locks, car starters, and speakers. They are also used in more complex systems, such as electric motors and generators.

4. Can solenoids be used to generate electricity?

Yes, solenoids can be used to generate electricity. When a magnet is moved in and out of a solenoid, it creates an electric current. This process is used in generators to produce electricity.

5. How can the strength of a magnetic field in a solenoid be increased?

The strength of a magnetic field in a solenoid can be increased by increasing the number of turns in the coil, increasing the current flowing through the coil, or by adding a ferromagnetic core, such as iron, inside the coil.