How do I Write Proofs in French?

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to write mathematical proofs in French. They ask for clarification on which voice (nous or on) is typically used, as well as whether to use the imperative or infinitive when giving instructions. They also request any tips on common mistakes that English speakers make when writing math in French. A moderator suggests finding French math books for guidance and offers their own guesses for the answers to the questions.
Poopsilon
I'm writing some of my proofs up in french in order to practice the language and I have a few questions for any of you french speakers out there.

First, what voice is generally used 'nous' or 'on'.
Second when I am telling the reader to perform this or that mathematical procedure, do I use the imperative or the infinitive?

Also if there are some other common mistakes anglophones make when writing math in french, please let me know, thanks! =].

Physics news on Phys.org
Moderator's note: thread moved from General Math to General Discussion.

Why don't you find a French math book or two and read their proofs for guidance?

If I were to take a guess, I'd go with "on" instead of "nous," and stick to more passive language (e.g., the infinitive) rather than the imperative. You'll probably have to use lots of reflexive verbs in the passive tense, too.

Related to How do I Write Proofs in French?

1. How do you start writing a proof in French?

To start writing a proof in French, you should first clearly state the theorem or proposition you are trying to prove. Then, you can begin by outlining your proof and breaking it down into smaller steps.

2. What is the structure of a proof in French?

A proof in French typically follows the same structure as a proof in any other language. It consists of an introduction, where you state the theorem or proposition, a body, where you provide your arguments and reasoning, and a conclusion, where you summarize your proof and state the final result.

3. Are there any differences between writing proofs in French and in English?

The main difference between writing proofs in French and in English is the use of language and terminology. In French, you may encounter different mathematical terms and notations, but the overall structure and logic of the proof remains the same.

4. How do you ensure clarity and precision in a proof written in French?

To ensure clarity and precision in a proof written in French, it is important to use precise mathematical language and notation. It is also helpful to provide clear explanations and justifications for each step in your proof.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to write proofs in French?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning how to write proofs in French. Some universities offer courses on mathematical writing in French, and there are also online tutorials and textbooks that can help improve your skills in writing proofs in French.