How do i understand this equation ?

• Thread starter PHYSICS!!!:-)
  • Start date
In summary, the purpose of an equation is to express a mathematical relationship between different variables. An equation is read from left to right, with the equals sign separating the two sides. The symbols and numbers in an equation represent different quantities or values, and to solve an equation, you need to isolate the variable by using inverse operations. To check if a solution is correct, you can substitute it back into the original equation.
PHYSICS!!!:-)
http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/index.php?topic=33.0

first paragraph, force acting on a particle with charge, and velocity in a magnetic field...
(i.e. what do all the symbols mean, how do i find the symbol values...etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PHYSICS!:-)! :smile:

B is magnetic field, FB is magnetic force, q is electric charge, and V is velocity (all of them vectors, except q). :wink:

Understanding equations can be challenging, but with some guidance and practice, it can become easier. Let's break down the equation in the provided link to help you understand it better.

The first thing we need to do is identify the symbols in the equation. This equation deals with the force acting on a particle with charge in a magnetic field. The symbols used in the equation are F, q, v, B, and θ. F represents the force, q is the charge of the particle, v is the velocity, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

To understand the equation, it is important to know the concepts behind it. In this case, the equation is describing the relationship between the force acting on a charged particle moving in a magnetic field. The force is perpendicular to both the velocity and the magnetic field, and its magnitude is dependent on the charge of the particle, its velocity, and the strength of the magnetic field.

To find the values of the symbols in the equation, you will need to have some knowledge of the physical quantities involved. For example, the charge of the particle can be given in coulombs (C), the velocity in meters per second (m/s), and the strength of the magnetic field in tesla (T). These values can be found through experiments or given in a problem.

In summary, understanding this equation requires knowledge of the symbols used, the concepts behind it, and the values of the symbols involved. With practice and a solid understanding of the concepts, you will be able to use this equation to solve problems involving charged particles moving in a magnetic field.

Related to How do i understand this equation ?

1. What is the purpose of this equation?

The purpose of an equation is to express a mathematical relationship between different variables. It helps us understand how these variables are related and how they affect each other.

2. How do I read an equation?

An equation is read from left to right, with the equals sign (=) separating the two sides. The left side contains the variables and the right side contains the values or expressions that are equal to the left side. The variables are represented by letters or symbols.

3. What do the symbols and numbers in an equation represent?

The symbols and numbers in an equation represent different quantities or values. The symbols can represent variables such as x, y, or z, while the numbers represent specific values for those variables. It is important to understand the meaning of each symbol in order to fully understand the equation.

4. How do I solve an equation?

To solve an equation, you need to isolate the variable you are trying to find on one side of the equation. This is done by using inverse operations, meaning that you perform the opposite operation to both sides of the equation. Once the variable is isolated, you can solve for its value by performing any necessary simplifications or substitutions.

5. How can I check if my solution to an equation is correct?

To check if your solution to an equation is correct, you can substitute the value you found for the variable back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. This means that when you plug in the value, the equation should still hold true. If it does, then your solution is correct.