How do I type this equation into my calculator?

The "top part" of what? "The whole problem" meaning what?In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate a 95% confidence interval for the percentage of eligible voters who voted in the last presidential election. The person is trying to figure out the correct way to enter the equation into their calculator to get the correct answer.
rowdy3
A survey of 1002 people, 701 said they voted in the last presidential elcetion. Voting records show 61% of the eligible voters voted. Find a 95% confidence interval and see if it corresponds to the 61% statistic. This is what I did.
z/2 = 1.96
p hat = x/n = 701/1002
q hat 1-.6996= .3004
E= 1.96 square root of .6996- .3004 / 1002 = .0284.
That's the right answer but don't know how to type it in my calculator. I keep getting .00124. I have a TI-83 Plus. Could you show me how to type E= 1.96 square root of .6996- .3004 / 1002 in my calculator? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear from what you wrote what it is you want to calculate, so until we figure that out, it's going to be difficult to show you what you need to enter into your calculator. To clarify what you wrote, you really need to use parentheses.

Is this it?
[tex]1.96\sqrt{.6996 - \frac{.3004}{1002}}[/tex]

Or is this it?
[tex]1.96\sqrt{\frac{.6996 - .3004}{1002}}[/tex]

Or maybe this?
[tex]1.96\sqrt{.6996} - \frac{.3004}{1002}}[/tex]

There might be some other possibilities I didn't list.

Im trying to calculate E= 1.96 square root of .6996- .3004 / 1002 = .0284. I keep getting a different answer. I don't know if I should use parentheses on the top part or the whole problem.

It doesn't help if you repeat the same thing you said in your first post. Did you read my reply? Your question is so unclear I can't tell what you're trying to calculate.

Related to How do I type this equation into my calculator?

1. How do I access the calculator on my computer?

To access the calculator on your computer, you can either click on the calculator icon in your applications folder or search for "calculator" in your computer's search bar.

2. How do I type numbers into the calculator?

To type numbers into the calculator, you can either click on the number buttons or use your keyboard to enter the numbers. You can also use the numpad on your keyboard if you have one.

3. How do I type symbols and operators into the calculator?

To type symbols and operators into the calculator, you can either click on the corresponding buttons or use your keyboard to enter them. For example, you can use the "+" button or the "Shift" key and the "+" key on your keyboard to add numbers.

4. How do I enter exponents or square roots into the calculator?

To enter exponents or square roots into the calculator, you can use the "^" button or the "x^2" button for exponents and the "√" button for square roots. You can also use the "^" key and the "2" key on your keyboard for exponents and the "Shift" key and the "\ " key for square roots.

5. How do I solve equations or perform calculations on the calculator?

To solve equations or perform calculations on the calculator, you can type in the equation using the number, symbol, and operator buttons, and then press the "=" button. The calculator will display the result of the calculation. You can also use the "Enter" key on your keyboard to perform the calculation.