How do I prove it is a diagonal?

• Thread starter Zeroth
  • Start date
In summary: I'm sorry.In summary, the problem involves finding the area of a square with a point M located at its center, given the lengths of the sides of the square. The solution can be found by using Pythagorean Theorem to show that M is on the diagonal AC, and then finding the length of a side using the Law of cosines. Alternatively, one can place a point P along segment MC and use the Pythagorean Theorem to determine the relationship between triangle MPB and the square.
Zeroth

Homework Statement

Inside of a square ABCD exists a point M such that |MA|=7 cm, |MB|=13 cm and |MC| = 17 cm. Calculate the area of the square

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After a lot of formula searching I went and looked at the solution, there they proved that the point M i on the diagonal AC using the coordinate system and from there on it is easy to find the area. I need help in understanding the proof. They mentioned it is possible to do it using Pythagorean therorem but they didn't show how to do it and I don't see it. You can see my sketch in the picture. I know I am supposed to show my work and I have nothing to show, but can you at least give me some guidelines please?

Attachments

• 14696364612671997107704.jpg
    14696364612671997107704.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 348
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried the law of sines to determine all relevant angles or some Pythagoras by drawing the heights of your triangles?
However, the first seems to be easier.

Is this enough?

Attachments

• 14696422128581997107704.jpg
    14696422128581997107704.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 358
Can't you type it in here? It's a) hard to read and b) skipped.

X/sin(γ) = 13/sin(α)

X/sin(δ)= 13/sin(β)

That is only possible if γ=δ and α=β

I hope the pic is understandable.

EDIT: Also.. I'm on the phone so it's a bit hard to write

Attachments

• 1469642694113826431958.jpg
    1469642694113826431958.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 358
What makes you think it is the diagonal? I guess you will have to determine the angles.

Zeroth said:
X/sin(γ) = 13/sin(α)

X/sin(δ)= 13/sin(β)

That is only possible if γ=δ and α=β

I hope the pic is understandable.

EDIT: Also.. I'm on the phone so it's a bit hard to write
It does not follow from your equations that γ=δ and α=β.

Look at the picture , apply Pythagoras' theorem and find x, y. (The red lines go through the point M and are parallel to the sides of the square. )
upload_2016-7-27_21-5-7.png
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/103906

Last edited:
Likes Zeroth and fresh_42
I realized the problem with the angles later. With that picture I had no problem doing it. In the solutions was essentially the same thing but the coordinate system made it very confusing. Thank you very much

Zeroth said:

Homework Statement

Inside of a square ABCD exists a point M such that |MA|=7 cm, |MB|=13 cm and |MC| = 17 cm. Calculate the area of the square

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After a lot of formula searching I went and looked at the solution, there they proved that the point M is on the diagonal AC using the coordinate system and from there on it is easy to find the area. I need help in understanding the proof. They mentioned it is possible to do it using Pythagorean therorem but they didn't show how to do it and I don't see it. You can see my sketch in the picture. I know I am supposed to show my work and I have nothing to show, but can you at least give me some guidelines please?
If you take their word for it, that "the point M is on the diagonal AC", then the Law of cosines can be used to find the length of a side.

However, it's not too difficult to use the Pythagorean Theorem to show that M is on diagonal AC. From that finding the length of a side is easy.

Place point, P, along segment MC a distance 5 cm from M . What can you determine about triangle MPB ?

SammyS said:
However, it's not too difficult to use the Pythagorean Theorem to show that M is on diagonal AC. From that finding the length of a side is easy.

Place point, P, along segment MC a distance 5 cm from M . What can you determine about triangle MPB ?

I will be completely honest with you. I ddon't see eye to eye with geometry. I can't determine anything.

Related to How do I prove it is a diagonal?

1. How do I know if a line is a diagonal?

A diagonal is a line that connects two non-adjacent corners of a shape or object. To determine if a line is a diagonal, you can visually inspect the shape or use the Pythagorean theorem to check if the line is the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

2. How do I prove that a line is a diagonal?

To prove that a line is a diagonal, you can use the definition of a diagonal, which is a line that connects two non-adjacent corners. You can also use the properties of a diagonal, such as being the longest line in a shape or the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

3. Can a line be both a diagonal and a side of a shape?

Yes, a line can be both a diagonal and a side of a shape. For example, in a square, the diagonals are also the sides of the square. However, in a rectangle, the diagonals are not the sides of the rectangle.

4. How do I prove that a shape has diagonals?

To prove that a shape has diagonals, you can use the properties of the shape, such as having non-adjacent corners or being a parallelogram. You can also draw the diagonals on the shape and measure them to show that they meet the criteria of being diagonals.

5. Is the diagonal of a rectangle always longer than the sides?

Yes, the diagonal of a rectangle is always longer than the sides. This can be proven using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse (the diagonal) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (the sides of the rectangle).