How do I solve this physics exercise (Equilibrium)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct calculations for determining cable tension in a 3-4-5 triangle with a 500 pound vertical load. The correct tension is calculated to be approximately 197.64 pounds, with a slight difference due to rounding and decimals. The conversation also mentions the simplicity of this method compared to other methods.
Tapias5000
Homework Statement
Determine the force required on each cable to sustain the load of 500lb
Relevant Equations
Σfx=0, Σfy=0, Σfz=0
1632608403797.png

I tried to solve it and I got the following, is it correct?
aa.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks ok.

Insofar as 2 of the cables are in the horizontal plane, then the 500 pound vertical load must all be carried by the vertical comp of cable CD. And with that 3-4-5 triangle, 3 fourths of it or 375 pounds , must go horizontally to the other 2 cables, and their being symmetric, that’s half again or 187.5 borizontally to each, or cable tension root 10/3 times that. Saves a few lines. At least on this one.

PhanthomJay said:
Looks ok.

Insofar as 2 of the cables are in the horizontal plane, then the 500 pound vertical load must all be carried by the vertical comp of cable CD. And with that 3-4-5 triangle, 3 fourths of it or 375 pounds , must go horizontally to the other 2 cables, and their being symmetric, that’s half again or 187.5 borizontally to each, or cable tension root 10/3 times that. Saves a few lines. At least on this one.
Are my answers correct?

Tapias5000 said:
Are my answers correct?
Near enough. I get 197.64...

Likes Tapias5000
haruspex said:
Near enough. I get 197.64...
ooh... maybe then only decimals are involved in the procedure... well I'll settle for that

Related to How do I solve this physics exercise (Equilibrium)?

1. How do I identify the forces acting on an object in equilibrium?

To identify the forces acting on an object in equilibrium, you can use a free-body diagram. This diagram shows all the forces acting on the object, including their direction and magnitude. In equilibrium, the sum of all the forces must be equal to zero.

2. What are the conditions for an object to be in equilibrium?

An object is in equilibrium when the net force acting on it is equal to zero and the net torque (rotational force) is also equal to zero. This means that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

3. How do I calculate the net force and net torque on an object in equilibrium?

To calculate the net force, you need to add all the forces acting on the object in the same direction and subtract any forces acting in the opposite direction. To calculate the net torque, you need to add all the torques acting on the object in the same direction and subtract any torques acting in the opposite direction.

4. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to an object that is at rest and in balance, with no net force or torque acting on it. Dynamic equilibrium, on the other hand, refers to an object that is moving at a constant velocity, with no acceleration.

5. How do I solve a physics exercise on equilibrium?

To solve a physics exercise on equilibrium, you can follow these steps: 1) Draw a free-body diagram to identify all the forces acting on the object. 2) Write down the equations for equilibrium, which state that the sum of the forces and torques must be equal to zero. 3) Substitute the known values into the equations and solve for the unknown quantities. 4) Check your answer by making sure the net force and net torque are both equal to zero.