How Do I Solve This Garden Border Problem?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Simonio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    garden
In summary, the garden is 20 meters by 8 meters. The width of the border around the outside is the same as the width of the pond. The size of the area NOT occupied by the border or the pond is 124 meters squared.
Simonio
Here's another question I'm finding it hard to get started on:

" A garden is in the shape of a rectangle, 20 metres by 8 metres. Around the outside is a border of uniform width, and in the middle is a square pond. The width of the border is the same as the width of the pond. The size of the are which is NOT occupied by either border or pond is \(124m^2\). Letting the width of the border be \(xm\), derive the equation \(3x^2-56x + 36 = 0\).

The only equation I can derive is this: A (total area) = \((2x + 20)(2x + 8)\). I'm not sure how to relate the information about the square and the inner area of \(124^2m\). Any help appreciated. I'm still finding these sort of questions difficult :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First, let's draw a diagram:

View attachment 2584

Now, the area we want is shaded in green. The width of this area is $20-2x$ and the length is $8-2x$. Then we need to subtract the area of the pond, which is $x^2$. Can you put this all together and equate it to $124\text{ m}^2$ to obtain the required quadratic in $x$?

Attachments

• garden.jpg
    garden.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 77
MarkFL said:
First, let's draw a diagram:

View attachment 2584

Now, the area we want is shaded in green. The width of this area is $20-2x$ and the length is $8-2x$. Then we need to subtract the area of the pond, which is $x^2$. Can you put this all together and equate it to $124\text{ m}^2$ to obtain the required quadratic in $x$?

Thanks. Wow, I misread the meaning and thought that the 20x8 dimension was for the inner garden area -I find it's easy to get verbally confused! I'll have a go now based on your diagram -thanks a lot!

Ah, the importance of drawing a diagram cannot be overlooked. While a picture is never a proof, they can sure help to get the proof! (Or solution, in this case.)

Take a gander at the http://mathhelpboards.com/other-topics-22/problem-solving-strategy-28.html I've culled from various sources. It might help you out with word problems.

Ackbach said:
Ah, the importance of drawing a diagram cannot be overlooked. While a picture is never a proof, they can sure help to get the proof! (Or solution, in this case.)

Never a truer word said. [And for those who haven't already, and who might yet doubt the veracity of Ackbach's words, see Tristan Needham's "Visual Complex Analysis" (Heidy) ]

Related to How Do I Solve This Garden Border Problem?

1. What is the "Garden Border Problem"?

The Garden Border Problem, also known as the Garden Fence Problem, is a classic mathematical puzzle that involves finding the perimeter of a garden with a specific shape and dimensions while minimizing the length of fencing needed.

2. How do you solve the Garden Border Problem?

To solve the Garden Border Problem, you need to find the area of the garden and then use that value to calculate the perimeter. This can be done by breaking the garden into smaller shapes, such as rectangles or triangles, and using their respective area formulas. Then, add all the sides together to get the total perimeter.

3. What is the importance of the Garden Border Problem?

The Garden Border Problem has practical applications in real-life situations, such as determining the amount of fencing needed for a garden or the cost of materials for a construction project. It also helps develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

4. Can the Garden Border Problem be solved using different shapes?

Yes, the Garden Border Problem can be solved using different shapes, as long as the total area remains the same. However, some shapes may require more or less fencing depending on their perimeter, so it is important to consider the most efficient shape for a given area.

5. Are there any variations of the Garden Border Problem?

Yes, there are many variations of the Garden Border Problem, such as finding the minimum amount of fencing needed for irregularly shaped gardens or finding the maximum area that can be enclosed with a specific length of fencing. These variations add complexity to the problem and require different approaches to solve.