Help - Problems that i don't understand

• Thread starter Hurly
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves three different problems - approximating angles with an outstretched arm, minimizing the surface area of a cylindrical can, and determining the direction and distance to walk on a topographic map. For the first problem, the height and angle of the mast can be used to calculate the distance the boat is from the shore. For the second problem, the volume and surface area equations for a cylinder can be used to determine the radius and height of the can. And for the third problem, understanding that contour lines on a topographic map connect points of equal altitude and the steepest incline/decline is perpendicular to the contours, can help determine the direction and distance to walk on the map.
Hurly
1) Amateur astronomers often approximate angles with an arm out-
stretched. With the hand in this position, one nger's width is approximately
2, the width of your hand at the knuckles is approximately 10 and your
hand fully spanned is approximately 20. You are on the shore and you see a
boat. With your arm outstretched, the height of its mast is 1 nger's width.
You also know that this boat's mast is 10 metres in height. How far away
is the boat? 30 seconds later you notice the mast is now 2 nger widths in
height. How fast is the boat sailing towards you? Now convert this speed
into knots (look it up).

2) A tin can manufacturer wants to minimise the cost of metal in a can
of volume 500 cm3. To do this you need to minimise the surface area of the
cylindrical can. Determine the radius and height of such a can.

3) On a topographic map, contour lines join points of equal altitude. If
you followed a contour, you would not go up or down in elevation. Hopefully
you can see then that the steepest incline/decline would be perpendicular to
the contours. Suppose I want to know what direction to climb up a mountain
(I am rogaining in a mountainous region), I am at -36:41258 N, 148:355248
E and I can see that on the map the contour nearest to me is a straight line
from -36:405948 N 148:354883 E to -36:423216 N 148:3566 E. What line
should walk along in the North-East plane? Also for each metre I move to
the North, how many metres should I move to the East?

- I've had numerous attempts at these questions but can't get a grasp on it
1) confuses me
2) I am not sure about because i don't think i have been given enough info
3)i've drawn a little diagram of it but need help

Thanks in advance for your help =)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If I were you I would ask that this be moved to a forum where people are willing to give homework help. Even if this is independent study this is not the appropriate forum.

I'll give you some hints.

For 1 draw a triangle. You know the height of the mask, and an angle. It should be as simple as using trig to solve.

For number 2 you should be able to find 2 formulas. One for volume and one for surface area. Then it just becomes a regular calculus problem.

For number 3 if you have drawn yourself a picture, do you know what it is you are actually trying to do? can you draw the line you think you should walk?

Related to Help - Problems that i don't understand

What should I do if I don't understand a problem?

If you are having trouble understanding a problem, the first thing to do is to read it carefully and make sure you understand all the information provided. If you are still stuck, try breaking the problem down into smaller parts and tackling each one separately. You can also ask a friend or classmate for help, or seek assistance from a teacher or tutor.

Why is it important to ask for help when encountering problems?

Asking for help is important because it allows you to gain a better understanding of the problem and learn new methods for solving it. It also shows that you are willing to put in the effort to learn and improve, which is a valuable skill in any field of study.

What are some effective problem-solving strategies?

Some effective problem-solving strategies include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, using visual aids or diagrams to better understand the problem, and trying different approaches or techniques to find a solution. It can also be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving your problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. One way to improve is to actively seek out challenging problems and work through them. You can also try learning new problem-solving techniques and strategies, and analyzing your thought process as you work through a problem to identify areas for improvement.

What should I do if I still can't solve a problem after seeking help?

If you have tried different strategies and sought help from others but still can't solve a problem, don't get discouraged. Sometimes it takes time and persistence to find the right solution. It can also be helpful to take a step back and approach the problem from a different angle. If necessary, don't be afraid to ask for additional help or clarification.