How Do I Prove These Mathematical Limit Relations?

In summary: If b=1, the limit is trivially 0. If b<1, the exponential function will become very close to 0 for large values of x, so the limit will be -∞. In all cases, the limit is not equal to log(b).In summary, the given limit relations are: (a) does not exist, (b) is equal to 1, (c) is equal to e, and (d) is equal to e^x. It is not clear which definition of e is being used for these proofs.
mathmathRW
I have been asked to prove the following limit relations.
(a) lim(as x goes to infinity) (b^x-1)/x = log(b)

(b) lim log(1+x)/x = 1

(c) lim (1+x)^(1/x) = e

(d) lim (1+x/n)^n =e^x

Unfortunately, I really have no idea where to start. We have a theorem that says if f(x)=the sum of (c sub n)*(x^n) then the limit of f(x) is the sum of c sub n. Is that useful for this problem? Any suggestions on how to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
How rigorous is your class? Do you prove things using the ##\epsilon - \delta## definition or are you simply trying to show that the limits are what they are?

For this particular problem, I think we are just supposed to show that they are what they are.

mathmathRW said:
For this particular problem, I think we are just supposed to show that they are what they are.

Let's try the first one : ##lim_{x→∞} \frac{b^x-1}{x}##

Try plugging in some values and see what happens for x = 1, 2, 3... . That should draw your attention to what is happening in the numerator depending on ##b##.

The "standard" rules of limits are not sufficient here. But you should think about this: what definition of "e" are you using?

mathmathRW said:
I have been asked to prove the following limit relations.
(a) lim(as x goes to infinity) (b^x-1)/x = log(b)
That can't be right. If b>1, the exponential function will grow much faster than ##x##, so the limit will diverge.

Related to How Do I Prove These Mathematical Limit Relations?

1. What is the concept of a limit in mathematics?

The concept of a limit in mathematics refers to the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to describe the behavior of functions near a specific point.

2. How do you prove limit relations using the definition of a limit?

To prove limit relations using the definition of a limit, you must show that for any given distance from the limit value, there exists a corresponding distance from the input value such that the function values are within that distance of the limit. This can be shown through the use of algebraic manipulation and the epsilon-delta definition of a limit.

3. What are the common techniques used to prove limit relations?

Some common techniques used to prove limit relations include direct substitution, algebraic manipulation, and the squeeze theorem. These techniques can be used to simplify the expression and evaluate the limit by finding the limit of simpler functions or sequences.

4. Can we use graphical representations to prove limit relations?

Yes, graphical representations can be used to prove limit relations. The graph of a function can provide visual evidence of the behavior of the function near a specific point, and can help in understanding how the limit is approached. However, graphical evidence alone is not considered a rigorous proof and must be accompanied by algebraic or analytical reasoning.

5. What is the importance of proving limit relations in mathematics and science?

Proving limit relations is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to understand and describe the behavior of functions and sequences near specific points. This is essential in applications such as optimization, modeling, and prediction. Additionally, proving limit relations is a fundamental step in the development of more complex mathematical concepts and theories.