How do I make traditional Polish kraszanka for Easter?

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary, these are Polish pisanki, which are eggs that are decorated using onion skins and beet juice. Some customs ignore international borders.
Borek
Mentor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_pisanka

These will be what we call in Poland kraszanka:

1. Put onion peelings and water into pot. The older and drier the peelings the better, you don't use a fresh ones. The more peelings the better. You will prefer to use and old pot, as it may get colored and can be hard to clean.

2. Wash eggs with some detergent. Eggs are covered with fat - it keeps them fresh for much longer, but it makes them hard to get colored.

3. Put eggs into cold water with peelings and boil them - I wait till they start to boil plus about 10 minutes, or (when coloring) even a little bit longer.

kraszanki1.jpg

4. And they are brown :smile: You may try to scratch them with a sharp tool to add an ornament, although it is not easy - I mean egg shell is rather delicate so you need some experience to make a scratch and not a hole. They can be eaten just like hard boiled eggs are, even if the shell was broken and egg became stained.

kraszanki2.jpg

Some add a table spoon of vinegar to water - this is assumed to make coloring easier. In my experience it doesn't matter. You may also try to use spinach leaves or beetroot to make eggs green or red.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My grandmother always colored eggs that way too (she's Polish as well). I tried it for the first time a couple of years ago with the onion skins and beet root, and it didn't work well without adding a little vinegar to the water. I think it may be the residual coating on the eggs that the vinegar helps cut through (they dip eggs in a waxy sort of coating here to help them store longer when sold in the supermarkets).

I like the rich brown and the purplish red that you get from those natural ways of dying the eggs, and I just like the idea better than using food colorings.

Moonbear said:
(they dip eggs in a waxy sort of coating here to help them store longer when sold in the supermarkets)

That can be a problem. As far as I know it is not done here.

They are said to be Ukrainian, but they don't differ from Polish "pisanki". Some customs ignore international borders.

Timely thread, Borek. My wife is Russian and introduced me to this style of egg coloring. It took me a couple of years to not automatically throw out onion skins. Here's a picture from a few years ago. The cylindrical dough is kulich and the white dome is strained Farmer's cheese with raisens and citrus zest called Pasha. Pasha means Easter in Russian.

EasterEggs.jpg

Evo said:
Now *these* are decorated eggs. This is done using layers of wax and colors.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gtrgeorge/2354221530/in/pool-pysanky

This one is my favorite.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_v2zEq0iZp...D60/rHIEmP9rY28/s400/Cat+Angel+Easter+Egg.jpg

Do you know what kind of wax should be used to do that? When I was a kid, my mom would let us try making some by melting the paraffin wax you use for canning (i.e., put the layer on top of jellies) but it never stayed stuck to the eggs very well (go figure...I seemed to have trouble with wax coming and going). Maybe I need to get fresh eggs to get the wax to stick right (the experiment at the farm that was producing dozens of eggs a day ended a while ago, so no freebie, fresh eggs anymore :frown:).

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand the original procedure involved bee wax. I think it is more sticky than paraffin.

The colour you achieve on the eggs is gorgeous, Borek.

GeorginaS said:
The colour you achieve on the eggs is gorgeous, Borek.

Try, it is really simple.

And even if it will not work, you don't have to tell anyone and you can simply destroy the evidence eating it.

Also try beet juice, for a great reddish color.

Sigh.

Borek said:
From what I understand the original procedure involved bee wax. I think it is more sticky than paraffin.

Ah, so I need to find bees with dirty ears? :biggrin:

You may need nano ear cleaners for that, but I guess you got the idea.

Related to How do I make traditional Polish kraszanka for Easter?

1. How do I make the colors on my Easter eggs vibrant?

To make the colors on your Easter eggs vibrant, start by using white eggs instead of brown or other colored eggs. White eggs will allow the colors to show up more brightly. Next, use a good quality food coloring or dye and follow the instructions on the package. Finally, make sure to let the eggs sit in the dye for the recommended amount of time to achieve the desired color intensity.

2. Can I use natural ingredients to color my Easter eggs?

Yes, there are many natural ingredients that can be used to color Easter eggs. Some popular options include using boiled onion skins for a deep golden color, blueberries for a bluish-purple hue, and beets for a pink or red color. Simply boil the ingredients in water and then let the eggs sit in the colored water for a few hours or overnight for best results.

3. How long will the colors on my Easter eggs last?

The colors on your Easter eggs can last for several days if they are properly stored in the refrigerator. However, if the eggs are left out at room temperature for too long, the colors can fade and the eggs may spoil. It is recommended to consume the eggs within a week of coloring them.

4. Can I dye hard boiled eggs for Easter?

Yes, hard boiled eggs can be dyed for Easter. However, it is important to let the boiled eggs cool completely before dyeing them to avoid any cracks or damage. It is also recommended to use a dye that is safe for consumption if you plan on eating the eggs after they have been dyed.

5. How can I create intricate designs on my Easter eggs?

To create intricate designs on your Easter eggs, there are several techniques you can use. One popular method is using wax to create patterns or designs before dyeing the eggs. Another option is using stickers or tape to create designs before dyeing. You can also use a white crayon or marker to draw designs on the eggs before dyeing them.