How do I know it's the positive branch

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution to dy/dx = (4x - y)/(x + 2y) for y(0) = 1, using the method of separating variables. The speaker asks why the positive root should be chosen over the negative root, and the responder explains that this is determined by the initial condition given. The conversation also touches on what would happen if the initial condition were a negative number.
thomas49th
dy/dx = (4x - y)/(x + 2y)

for y(0) = 1

As not seperable us y = vx where v is a funciton of x method.

If you follow it through you'll get y as a quadratic. According to the answer scheme, I should take the +ve square root because of y(0) = 1... why? Why can I discard the -ve square root.

Thanks
Thomas

Physics news on Phys.org
thomas49th said:
dy/dx = (4x - y)/(x + 2y)

for y(0) = 1

As not seperable us y = vx where v is a funciton of x method.

If you follow it through you'll get y as a quadratic. According to the answer scheme, I should take the +ve square root because of y(0) = 1... why? Why can I discard the -ve square root.

Thanks
Thomas
Your solution is defined in some interval around x = 0. Since y(0) = 1, y(x) for x near 0 should be close to 1, hence positive.

Sorry I don't follow. The only link I see if 1 is +ve... If y(0) = -1 would I choose -ve branch? Simply because -1 is negative?

Yeah, you can't satisfy the initial condition (in the original problem) if you choose the negative solution.

vela said:
Yeah, you can't satisfy the initial condition (in the original problem) if you choose the negative solution.

Hmmm. I set up an equation where 1 equalled the quadratic formulae with the negative branch. If you work through it, you find the discrement is < 0, therefore meaning no real solutions. Is what you mean by no being able to satisfy the initial condition... no real solutions?

However, from the answer sheet, it seems they did it intuitively... how?

Thanks
Thomas

thomas49th said:
Hmmm. I set up an equation where 1 equalled the quadratic formulae with the negative branch. If you work through it, you find the discrement is < 0, therefore meaning no real solutions. Is what you mean by no being able to satisfy the initial condition... no real solutions?
This doesn't have anything to do with the quadratic formula or the discriminant. When you were finding a solution, you had two choices for y - a positive square root or a negative square root. The one to choose is determined by the initial condition. Since y(0) = 1 is a positive number, choose the positive root.

If the initial condition had been y(0) = -2, you should have chosen the negative root.

That's all there is to it.
thomas49th said:
However, from the answer sheet, it seems they did it intuitively... how?

Thanks
Thomas

Related to How do I know it's the positive branch

1. How do I know if the branch I'm looking at is the positive branch?

The positive branch is typically marked with a plus sign (+) and is located on the right side of the graph or equation. It represents the values that are greater than zero and is considered to be the "positive" direction.

2. Is the positive branch always located on the right side?

No, the location of the positive branch can vary depending on the specific graph or equation. However, it is typically marked with a plus sign and is located on the side that represents values greater than zero.

3. Can the positive branch ever be negative?

No, by definition, the positive branch represents values that are greater than zero. Therefore, it cannot be negative.

4. How does knowing the positive branch affect my calculations?

Understanding which branch is positive is important for correctly interpreting and solving equations or graphs. It allows you to accurately determine which values are considered positive and which are negative, which can greatly impact the outcome of your calculations.

5. Are there any tips for quickly identifying the positive branch?

One tip is to remember that the positive branch is typically marked with a plus sign and is located on the side that represents values greater than zero. Another tip is to look at the direction of the graph - if it is increasing from left to right, the right side is likely the positive branch.