How do I interact with other PF contributors?

• Thread starter bushmonk
  • Start date
  • Tags
bushmonk
How do I quote a previous contributor, and comment on the quote. Everyone is doing it. I can reply, but I get the entire contribution as quote. I want to focus on a few select quotes. Where are the instructions on how to do it? Can you reply to more than one contribution in the same reply?

Physics news on Phys.org
Highlight the text you want to reply to or quote and a popup menu with two options appears. Quote puts the highlighted section on a clipboard and an "insert quote" button appears below the reply box. Reply just puts the highlighted section in the reply box.

That functionality messes up LaTeX. If you want to quote maths you need to hit the reply button at the bottom of the post and then manually edit the quoted section down to what you want.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, symbolipoint, Greg Bernhardt and 1 other person
Just delete whatever you don't need from the quote.

• Informative
Likes Math100, pinball1970, russ_watters and 2 others
On occasion, one could choose to separately place pieces he wishes to quote to a word processor program, add the notations desired, and put QUOTE tags around each separate quote. Great Control! But must spend some time and effort. Once done, highlight your composition in the word processor, select COPY, and then PASTE into the Reply field...

We notice the content of what you ask in post #1 is different than "interacting with other pf contributors". You have the option (most members) to communicate with Private Messages, or depending on what member provides, email. Normally one should communicate with other forum members, on the forum.

bushmonk said:
How do I quote a previous contributor, and comment on the quote. Everyone is doing it. I can reply, but I get the entire contribution as quote. I want to focus on a few select quotes. Where are the instructions on how to do it? Can you reply to more than one contribution in the same reply?
Apart from selecting the text you wish to quote, try to use the brackets-button 'Toggle BB code' of the edit window. It's an intuitive and WYSIAWYG-free way to actually edit the post body at low level.

Likes mfb and berkeman
bushmonk said:

How do I interact with other PF contributors?​

Throw things at them.

bushmonk said:
That's not what I mean.
You can edit what is inside the quote text just like any other text.

bushmonk said:
Hey, I never said this! You are putting words in my quote!
Exactly. Also, once you have a quote, you can copy text from it and paste all the quotes you want, including quote boxes. This forum treats "being in a quote box" the same as being italic or bold.

bushmonk said:
You are terrible at explaining things.
True, but sometimes you just have to experiment and see what happens. If it doesn't work, you can always select-all, delete, and start over.

Algr said:
Throw things at them.
LOL. :smile:

Algr said:
Exactly. Also, once you have a quote, you can copy text from it and paste all the quotes you want, including quote boxes. This forum treats "being in a quote box" the same as being italic or bold.
But it's important not to misquote anybody or mix up quotes. That can lead to a knock on your door by a Mentor... :wink:

berkeman said:
But it's important not to misquote anybody or mix up quotes. That can lead to a knock on your door by a Mentor... :wink:
The Great Cornholio said:
Are you threatening me?

Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 2.27.42 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz and berkeman
Ibix said:
Highlight the text you want to reply to or quote and a popup menu with two options appears. Quote puts the highlighted section on a clipboard
Notice that the quote option actually reads "+Quote". It adds the highlighted text to your collection of quotes. You can repeat this step with any number of quotes, also from multiple posts, and even from multiple threads.
Ibix said:
and an "insert quote" button appears below the reply box.
It shows you your collection of quotes. You can rearrange them into a different sequence, remove individual quotes via a "Remove" button, and then paste the remaining quotes into your post.

When I did this just now, I saw not only the two quotes above, but also a couple of quotes from a completely different thread that I was going to reply to, a few weeks ago, but never got around to doing it. The "Remove" buttons came in handy for dealing with them.

Likes Ibix
jtbell said:
Notice that the quote option actually reads "+Quote". It adds the highlighted text to your collection of quotes.
That's why I prefer to use the Reply option instead. Much easier for my brain to keep track of. :smile:

Likes Ibix