How do I integrate this continuous complex function?

In summary: Where R is the radius of the circle.In summary, to solve the given integral, one must represent each portion of the path C in the form of z(t) from a≤t≤b, find the derivative, and then substitute the values and integrate over it. This can be done by parameterizing each part of C as needed using the vertices of the square as reference points. Memorizing parameterizations for common curves, such as circles, can be helpful in solving similar problems in the future.
dla
1. Homework Statement [/b]
[itex]\int _{C} Re z^{2} dz[/itex] clock wise around the boundary of a square that has vertices of 0, i, 1+i, 1.

Homework Equations

[itex]\int_{c} f(z) dz = \int \stackrel{b}{ _{a}} f[z(t)] \stackrel{\cdot}{z(t)}dt[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it is piece-wise continuous I know I need to integrate by the use of the path. So I first need to represent the path in form z(t) from a≤t≤b, find that derivative, and then sub in the values and integrate over it.

But I'm having a really hard time representing the path C in the form of z(t) (a≤t≤b), I was looking at examples but still don't get how to do it. I feel like I need to assume Re z = x and do something to get it in terms of t

Can anyone explain the steps in general any help will be very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the line segment from 0 to i. Can't z(t) be represented by z(t) = (0,t) for 0<=t<=1? Likewise for the other portions of the path. The total integral should be the sum of the integrals on each portion of the path C.

Hi SteamKing,

Thanks for replying, I see what you did. I tried it for the other curves just to check if my understanding is correct, so from i to 1+i is the representation, z(t)=t+i 0≤t≤1? How did you know t is between 0≤t≤1?

Also how do I take direction into account for example if it is from 1+i to i, would it then be z(t)= -t+i?

t is just a parameter. You get to decide what range of values you wish to use for t, so I chose to make it convenient for that particular segment of C.

For other segments of C, there may be several different formulations using t. For 1+i to i, you could use
z(t) = ((1-t), i), 0<=t<=1.

How did you get z(t)=(1-t, i) for i to 1-i? I don't think I have the general idea down, I thought it'd be -t for the real part since it's changing and the imaginary parameter will be constant, thus z(t)=(-t, 1+i)?

You can parameterize a line connecting ##z_{1}## to ##z_{2}## in C as:

##\gamma (t) = tz_{2} + (1 - t)z_{1}##, where ##t \in [0, 1]##

This is easy to see because if t = 0, we are at the point ##z_{1}## and when t = 1 we are at the point ##z_{2}## - and this forms a straight line connecting these points from ##z_{1}## to ##z_{2}##.

Last edited:
It's a good idea to lay out the vertices of C in a regular way.

Remember, complex numbers have two components: a real part and an imaginary part.

From the OP, the vertices of C are 0, i, 1 + i, 1, and back to 0 to close the path.
So, in ordered pair form, the vertices are (0,0), (0,1), (1,1), (1,0), and (0,0), where it is understood that
(x,y) = x + iy

I made a mistake in the parameterization above for the second segment from i to 1+i:
it should be z(t) = (t, 1), where 0<=t<=1. The form of (x(t),y(t)) will depend on your choice of the range for the values of the parameter t.

Oh I get it now thank you so much Tsunoyukami that's a really useful method! And thanks for the explanations SteamKing I know where I went wrong now, I find that drawing it actually really helps a lot.

I'm glad to have been of help. If this course is an introduction to complex variables the majority (if not all) of the curves you will be asked to integrate over will be formed by a combination of straight line segments and arcs of circles so you may find it useful to memorize parameterizations for each of these curves.

The parameterizations of a circle is most commonly:

##\gamma(t) = Re^{it}## where ##t \in [0, 2\pi]##

Related to How do I integrate this continuous complex function?

1. How do I find the indefinite integral of a continuous complex function?

The process of finding the indefinite integral of a continuous complex function involves applying integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to the function. The resulting integral will also be a function with a constant of integration, which can be determined by using initial conditions or boundary values if provided.

2. Can I use the same integration techniques for complex functions as I do for real-valued functions?

Yes, many integration techniques used for real-valued functions can also be applied to complex functions. However, some additional considerations may need to be taken into account when dealing with complex functions, such as using the Cauchy-Riemann equations to check for analyticity.

3. How do I handle singularities when integrating a complex function?

Singularities, or points where the function is undefined, can complicate the integration process. In general, it is important to identify the type of singularity (removable, pole, or essential) and use appropriate techniques, such as using a Cauchy principal value or contour integration, to handle them.

4. Is there a general formula for integrating any continuous complex function?

No, unlike in the case of real-valued functions, there is no general formula for integrating any continuous complex function. The methods used for integration will vary depending on the specific function and the desired accuracy or simplicity of the result.

5. Can I use software or calculators to integrate complex functions?

Yes, there are many software programs and calculators that can perform complex function integration. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles and techniques in order to verify the accuracy of the results and make any necessary adjustments.