How do I integrate a quadratic with no real factors?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a general formula for an integral with real constants and then trying to solve a seemingly easier problem involving a quadratic. Through manipulation and completing the square, the solution is found for three different cases: when b^2-4ac<0, b^2-4ac=0, and b^2-4ac>0.
Mentallic
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I was intent on finding a general formula for every case where the constants are real in this integral:

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{ax^2+bx+c}[/tex]

But thought I would make things progressive by tackling a seemingly easier problem, mainly:

[tex]\int\frac{ax+b}{cx^2+dx+e}dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I let [tex]cx^2+dx+e=u[/tex]

[tex]du=(2cx+d)dx[/tex]

Now I needed the numerator to be equivalent to du, so after some manipulation I get

[tex]ax+b=\frac{a}{2c}(2cx+d+\frac{2bc}{a}-d)[/tex]

Which made me realize that this problem isn't any easier than the first, since I'm going to have to solve the first anyway...

[tex]\int\frac{ax+b}{cx^2+dx+e}dx[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{a}{2c}\left(\int\frac{2cx+d}{u}dx+\int\frac{\frac{2bc}{a}-d}{u}dx\right)[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{a}{2c}\left(\int\frac{du}{u}+\frac{2bc}{a}\int\frac{dx}{cx^2+dx+e}-d\int\frac{dx}{cx^2+dx+e}\right)[/tex]

So I guess my question is how do I deal with this integral in the case that the quadratic has no real factors. i.e. b2-4ac<0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try completing the square and then use a trig substitutionEDIT: I mean you can do this in the initial problem as well.

Oh right, thank you :smile:

For [tex]\int\frac{dx}{ax^2+bx+c}[/tex] completing the square gives

[tex]\frac{1}{a}\int\frac{dx}{\left(x+\frac{b}{2a}\right)^2+\frac{4ac-b^2}{4a^2}}[/tex]

Then letting [tex]x=\frac{-b}{2a}+\frac{\sqrt{4ac-b^2}}{2a}tanu[/tex]

The answer becomes

[tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{4ac-b^2}}.tan^{-1}\left(\frac{2ax+b}{\sqrt{4ac-b^2}}\right)[/tex]

I was really unsure of myself, and trying the derivative, it was quite amazing to watch everything cancel out to once again become the reciprocal of the general quadratic.

I'll try it for the other 2 cases as well now.

That is only valid for when b^2 - 4ac > 0. You need to account for the other case as well.

Yep, that one is for the case that [tex]b^2-4ac<0[/tex]

For [tex]b^2-4ac=0[/tex] the result is [tex]\frac{-2}{2ax+b}+c[/tex]

and for [tex]b^2-4ac>0[/tex], [tex]\frac{1}{\beta -\gamma}ln\left(\frac{x-\beta}{x-\gamma}\right)[/tex], where [itex]\beta,\gamma[/itex] are the two roots of the quadratic.

Related to How do I integrate a quadratic with no real factors?

What is a general integration formula?

A general integration formula is a mathematical formula that allows you to find the integral of a function by following a specific set of steps. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to solve a wide range of problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

Why is it important to know general integration formulae?

Knowing general integration formulae allows you to solve a variety of mathematical problems involving area, volume, and other physical quantities. It also helps to understand the behavior and properties of functions and their derivatives.

What are some common general integration formulae?

Some common general integration formulae include the power rule, trigonometric identities, substitution rule, and integration by parts. These formulas are used to integrate various types of functions, such as polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions.

How do you use general integration formulae?

To use a general integration formula, you first need to identify the type of function you want to integrate. Then, you can apply the corresponding formula and follow the steps to find the integral. It is important to understand the properties and limitations of each formula to ensure accurate results.

Are there any limitations to general integration formulae?

Yes, there are limitations to general integration formulae. Some functions may not have a closed form solution, meaning they cannot be integrated using a general formula. In these cases, numerical methods or approximations may be used to find the integral.