How do I integrate (1+(1/x))^x?

• Thread starter Phys_Boi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of the compound interest e approximation and the possibility of finding a closed form for the integral. The use of a TI-84 calculator for a definite integral is also mentioned.
Phys_Boi

Homework Statement

∫(1+(1/x))^x dx

Homework Equations

How do I integrate this compound interest e approximation

The Attempt at a Solution

Inside: x + ln(|x|) + C
Outside: (a^x)/(ln(a))

Physics news on Phys.org
I would be extremely susprised if it has a closed form for the integral.

mfb said:
I would be extremely susprised if it has a closed form for the integral.
Thanks. I'm new and don't know a lot.. However the ti-84 will give me a value for a definite integral. I don't know how.

Phys_Boi said:
Thanks. I'm new and don't know a lot.. However the ti-84 will give me a value for a definite integral. I don't know how.

Exactly what definite integral are you entering? That is, what are the integration limits? Is the answer "symbolic" or "numerical"?

A specific definite integral can be way easier than an analytic expression for the indefinite integral.

Oh okay. Thanks.

Related to How do I integrate (1+(1/x))^x?

1. What is the meaning of "Integrate (1+(1/x))^x"?

The expression "Integrate (1+(1/x))^x" refers to finding the antiderivative or the indefinite integral of the function (1+(1/x))^x. In other words, it involves the process of finding a function whose derivative is equal to (1+(1/x))^x.

2. Is (1+(1/x))^x a continuous function?

Yes, (1+(1/x))^x is a continuous function. It is a composition of continuous functions (1+x) and x^x, which makes it continuous for all real values of x.

3. What is the domain and range of (1+(1/x))^x?

The domain of (1+(1/x))^x is all real numbers except x = 0. The range of this function is (1, +∞), which means it takes on all positive values greater than 1.

4. Can (1+(1/x))^x be integrated using basic integration techniques?

No, (1+(1/x))^x cannot be integrated using basic integration techniques such as power rule, substitution, or integration by parts. It requires advanced techniques such as integration by parts with logarithmic functions to find the antiderivative.

5. What are the practical applications of integrating (1+(1/x))^x?

The integral of (1+(1/x))^x has various applications in physics, engineering, and finance. For example, it can be used to calculate the area under a curve, the volume of a solid of revolution, or the accumulated interest for continuously compounded investments. Additionally, it is also used in probability and statistics to calculate the cumulative distribution function of certain distributions.