How do I include nested quotes in reply?

• Thread starter Jonathan Scott
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of including nested quotes when replying to a post. The suggested solutions include manually copying the quote from the original post, using the +Quote link, or clicking reply on both posts. It is noted that quotes are often abused and the lack of automatic copying for nested quotes helps to reduce this issue.
Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
When I'm replying to something which includes a quote, I'd often like to include the second level quote for easy reference, but it gets dropped when I use "reply" or "quote". Is there a standard way to do this (other than copying the quote back in from the original quoted post)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Copy the quote from the original post, or via copy&paste from the post where it got quoted (and add quote tags manually). I don't think there is a better solution.

I would use the +Quote link on the original post or just click Reply on both (this will put quotes of both posts into your reply field, if you want to move one quote inside the other, just copy paste from the result).

As other suggested it has to be done manually. It was the same way in the old PF. Unfortunately, quotes are often abused, not allowing automatic copying of nested quotes makes the quote abuse less prominent.

OK, thanks everyone. I had hoped there might at least be some option (although I understand that making it automatic leads to excessive copying).

Related to How do I include nested quotes in reply?

1. How do I include nested quotes in reply?

Nested quotes in a reply can be included by using double quotation marks (") within single quotation marks (') or vice versa. This will create a nested quote within the main quote.

2. Can I use multiple nested quotes in a reply?

Yes, you can use multiple nested quotes in a reply by continuing to alternate between single and double quotation marks.

3. Is there a limit to the number of nested quotes I can include in a reply?

There is no specific limit to the number of nested quotes you can include in a reply. However, it is important to keep the nested quotes clear and easy to follow for the reader.

4. How do I format nested quotes in a reply?

Nested quotes can be formatted using indentation to clearly differentiate them from the main quote. You can also use different font styles or colors to make them stand out.

5. Can I use nested quotes in a reply to paraphrase someone's words?

Yes, nested quotes can be used to paraphrase someone's words in a reply. Just make sure to properly cite the original source and clearly indicate which parts are paraphrased.